Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the going rate to wrap a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came here to ask if anyone had used All American Paint Protection and I was happy to see your post, so I will give them a try! For PPF, are SunTek and XPEL basically the same or is one better than the other?

If anyone in the DC area is curious, just spoke with Brett at All American Paint Protection and this is what he quoted:

Full interior and exterior detail: $300
Full front XPEL: $2299
Tesla package: $3299

So for now, I'm going to do a full detail and then figure out if PPF is worth it/makes sense after I speak with Brett. I have the detail scheduled for Friday of next week and will post how it goes and what options I find that makes sense to me for PPF.

Reactions: Skipdd
If anyone in the DC area is curious, just spoke with Brett at All American Paint Protection and this is what he quoted:

Full interior and exterior detail: $300
Full front XPEL: $2299
Tesla package: $3299

So for now, I'm going to do a full detail and then figure out if PPF is worth it/makes sense after I speak with Brett. I have the detail scheduled for Friday of next week and will post how it goes and what options I find that makes sense to me for PPF.

Good luck with your decision. One other benefit I didn’t see mentioned, is that with PPF and ceramic coating, the car is a lot easier to clean. And even when it is dirty, it still looks good (shines from a distance). This is useful to me as I now have a bad back and less bending is very helpful. Downside - car wash not recommended after wrapping. Trade-off worth it for me.

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
Good luck with your decision. One other benefit I didn’t see mentioned, is that with PPF and ceramic coating, the car is a lot easier to clean. And even when it is dirty, it still looks good (shines from a distance). This is useful to me as I now have a bad back and less bending is very helpful. Downside - car wash not recommended after wrapping. Trade-off worth it for me.

Sorry to hear about your bad back :(

Wait what about car washes not recommended after PPF. I didn't know that! There is a brushless wash I use for quick washes nearby and I'd like to continue to be able to use that between details.

Thanks for letting me know that with PPF the car is easier to clean but now I'm not sure about PPF if it affects being able to take the car to a car wash...

Sorry to hear about your bad back :(

Wait what about car washes not recommended after PPF. I didn't know that! There is a brushless wash I use for quick washes nearby and I'd like to continue to be able to use that between details.

Thanks for letting me know that with PPF the car is easier to clean but now I'm not sure about PPF if it affects being able to take the car to a car wash...

Ask Brett. You can do it, but my recollection is that the risk is that the high water pressure shooting up under the car could cause a bubble to form at the edge of the film. I was always skittish about car washes before the wrap. And I discovered that my hand washing resulted in a much cleaner car. So, it was worth it to me. Also, Brett will do it for you (guessing he still offers this) as he has availability, at a price that was more than car wash but reasonable to me. It’s been awhile since I had him do it.

I will just say this again. Looking at increasing number of rock chips on hood from 3 months on, with first car, made me unhappy. No rock chips after 14 months in on second car, and preventing damage as noted in earlier post, is very satisfying. There is no question, if I opt to buy-out my lease (yes I wrapped a leased car), or purchase my next one, I will wrap it. I may just get a basic color and do a full wrap in the color I want.

Ask Brett. You can do it, but my recollection is that the risk is that the high water pressure shooting up under the car could cause a bubble to form at the edge of the film. I was always skittish about car washes before the wrap. And I discovered that my hand washing resulted in a much cleaner car. So, it was worth it to me. Also, Brett will do it for you (guessing he still offers this) as he has availability, at a price that was more than car wash but reasonable to me. It’s been awhile since I had him do it.

I will just say this again. Looking at increasing number of rock chips on hood from 3 months on, with first car, made me unhappy. No rock chips after 14 months in on second car, and preventing damage as noted in earlier post, is very satisfying. There is no question, if I opt to buy-out my lease (yes I wrapped a leased car), or purchase my next one, I will wrap it. I may just get a basic color and do a full wrap in the color I want.

My PPF installer told me it was fine to use pressure spray as long as it stays at least 6 feet away.

https://www.aapaintprotection.com/ in Rockville

Did not put any PPF on my 1st MS. Regretted it within 6 months after starting to see paint chips. For second, I opted for front-end with ceramic paint protection on that and on the rest of the car. Has saved me several times; love touches from other cars, once exiting a driveway that was steeper than it appeared. Cheaper to repace film than paint.

Brett Miller has done many Teslas. Meticulous, high quality, professional. Great guy. Don’t temember what I paid. Think the film was Suntek. He does lots of XPEL as well.

I have an appointment with AAPaintProtection for this coming Friday to do a full detail and i will go over paint protection options at that time. I'm so glad to hear he's familiar with Teslas.

I don't suppose paint protection film offers any protection from acts of vandalism such as keying - right? Wish it did!

Yeah.. I was quoted over 10k for full XPEL and ceramic for Model X by AllAmerican. Just full XPEL - 8K.

That is insane - twice as much as I paid for my MS 3 years ago. That shop is gone now - maybe on an early retirement! :)

Looking at a couple of shops around here too.. let me know if anyone has a shop with reasonable prices. Otherwise the X is going to be running around naked!

Yeah.. I was quoted over 10k for full XPEL and ceramic for Model X by AllAmerican. Just full XPEL - 8K.

That is insane - twice as much as I paid for my MS 3 years ago. That shop is gone now - maybe on an early retirement! :)

Looking at a couple of shops around here too.. let me know if anyone has a shop with reasonable prices. Otherwise the X is going to be running around naked!

OMG that price. :( It's so much more expensive than having several body panels repainted multiple times over o_O

Some of the PPF prices are really starting to make less sense if the cost of the "protection" is a lot more than the cure and it may not even protect against everything.

At anything over $4-5K, might as well save that money and use those funds to fix or repaint any panels as needed.

Have you talked to American Shine Detailing in VA?

Paint Protection Film | PPF | Clear Bra | American Shine | Sterling Va

Happy to coordinate with you and anyone else in the DC area to see if we can get a reasonable rate from someone to do multiple cars. I was looking at XPel earlier, but now considering a thicket film called Ultra Defense available by Suntek.

Has anyone wrapped their Model S with Suntek Ultra Defense

Anyone else in the DC area looking to have PPF so we can combine our research?

OMG that price. :( It's so much more expensive than having several body panels repainted multiple times over o_O

Some of the PPF prices are really starting to make less sense if the cost of the "protection" is a lot more than the cure and it may not even protect against everything.

At anything over $4-5K, might as well save that money and use those funds to fix or repaint any panels as needed.

Have you talked to American Shine Detailing in VA?

Paint Protection Film | PPF | Clear Bra | American Shine | Sterling Va

Happy to coordinate with you and anyone else in the DC area to see if we can get a reasonable rate from someone to do multiple cars. I was looking at XPel earlier, but now considering a thicket film called Ultra Defense available by Suntek.

Has anyone wrapped their Model S with Suntek Ultra Defense

Anyone else in the DC area looking to have PPF so we can combine our research?

I did Suntek on my 2018 MS 100D at ClearFilm in Roswell GA (Atlanta area) covering all the important areas for $1,600. I believe full wrap would have been $2,000. They did an awesome job! I had CQuartz Finest Reserve put on entire car for $1,995 at Red's in Marietta GA. Took 4 days but I am TOTALLY pleased with all of it!

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I did Suntek on my 2018 MS 100D at ClearFilm in Roswell GA (Atlanta area) covering all the important areas for $1,600. I believe full wrap would have been $2,000. They did an awesome job! I had CQuartz Finest Reserve put on entire car for $1,995 at Red's in Marietta GA. Took 4 days but I am TOTALLY pleased with all of it!

That's a very reasonable rate! Wish the rates I received were around that figure.

I just can't imagine paying for film several times the cost of actually having affected panels repainted multiple times.

Had my 2017 Model S done with Suntek, but just the front bumper and complete hood (wrapped around the edges so no lines appear). Cost was $800 here in Richmond. Was hesitant to even spend that much but that long sloping hood and flat front bumper appear to be ripe to collect stone chips

My last car (a 2006 AMG with 155k miles) had some small chips here and there on the bumper/hood, but had zero negative impact on resale value. (Sold it privately and got twice blue book value due to market demand for E55's). No chips or dings anywhere else.

To me, a full PPF wrap on the Model S would have been nice, but I literally took that $2k or more I would have spent on full body wrap and invested in stocks. Payoff 5 years from now in stocks vs PPF is going to be more satisfying to me.

Had my 2017 Model S done with Suntek, but just the front bumper and complete hood (wrapped around the edges so no lines appear). Cost was $800 here in Richmond. Was hesitant to even spend that much but that long sloping hood and flat front bumper appear to be ripe to collect stone chips

My last car (a 2006 AMG with 155k miles) had some small chips here and there on the bumper/hood, but had zero negative impact on resale value. (Sold it privately and got twice blue book value due to market demand for E55's). No chips or dings anywhere else.

To me, a full PPF wrap on the Model S would have been nice, but I literally took that $2k or more I would have spent on full body wrap and invested in stocks. Payoff 5 years from now in stocks vs PPF is going to be more satisfying to me.

From a financial perspective what you did totally makes sense but from an irrational OCD perspective I just had to have the car completely wrapped and to me what I paid is worth the peace of mind knowing the car has an extra layer of "protection."

Also SunTek now has an extra thicker and stronger film called "Ultra Defense."

I had TLC Auto Detail wrap the whole car and you can find my experience detailed on the following thread with photos. All the edges are wrapped so even when you are 6 inches from the car you can't really tell there is PPF. Also had the front portions of the car Ceramic Coated for ease of maintenance.

The cost for the entire car came to around $5K and it took them about a week to do. They have a special for Tesla Forum members where they offer complimentary ceramic coating for all the glass and that was a nice plus. At highway speeds I no longer need wipers when it's raining!

SunTek/Ultra Defense Paint Protection Film (PPF) Group Buy in NOVA/DC - TLC Auto Detail

Last edited:
From a financial perspective what you did totally makes sense but from an irrational OCD perspective I just had to have the car completely wrapped and to me what I paid is worth the peace of mind knowing the car has an extra layer of "protection."

Also SunTek now has an extra thicker and stronger film called "Ultra Defense."

I had TLC Auto Detail wrap the whole car and you can find my experience detailed on the following thread with photos. All the edges are wrapped so even when you are 6 inches from the car you can't really tell there is PPF. Also had the front portions of the car Ceramic Coated for ease of maintenance.

The cost for the entire car came to around $5K and it took them about a week to do. They have a special for Tesla Forum members where they offer complimentary ceramic coating for all the glass and that was a nice plus. At highway speeds I no longer need wipers when it's raining!

SunTek/Ultra Defense Paint Protection Film (PPF) Group Buy in NOVA/DC - TLC Auto Detail
when they do the glass, dont they have to grind some of the glass of before ceramic coating....I was told this and decided I did not want then to grind on my brand new Model 3

when they do the glass, dont they have to grind some of the glass of before ceramic coating....I was told this and decided I did not want then to grind on my brand new Model 3

I highly doubt that. I think they clean the glass surface extremely well but I doubt they grind the glass.

No realize everything is relative. When you polish the car, you might grind a tiny layer of clear coat but it does not affect the clear coat.

I have to say ceramic coating the glass is like magic. Even after driving through days of rain, my glass all around looks almost pristine.

as an FYI..whether using wax, sealant, or ceramic: primary benefit is achieving hydrophobic effect. It's possible to get the same effect of (expensive) ceramic coating on glass (not just front, but all) by simply cleaning the glass well yourself, and adding a coat (or two )of..car wax/car sealant. (whichever you use).

May have to apply it more frequently than a ceramic, but easy and almost..free.