Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the most durable 19" wheel style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After waiting years to get our Tesla it looks like the day will finally come within about the next 2 weeks. The car we are picking up has 21" Sonic Carbon Twin Turbine Wheels and living in the DC area where our roads are cratered like the moon, we want to replace them with 19" wheels as soon as possible.

We want to get the most durable 19" wheels possible.

So far we have found Cyclone, Slipstream, and dual spoke 19" wheels. Are there any other OEM 19" wheel options?

Out of these, is there one type of 19" wheels that is stronger than others? I assume the swap can happen at a Tesla service center and they will make sure the replacement wheels are properly mounted, balanced, with TMPS set?

Oh and if anyone is interested in the 21" Sonic Carbon Twin Turbine Wheels and wants to make a reasonable offer, please let me know :)

I doubt there’s a significant difference among any of them - I’d go with whatever you prefer visually.

That said, the slipstreams have the highest spoke to rim ratio and are by far the most common, so if you do damage one the slipstreams will be the easiest/cheapest to source and replace.

Is anyone in the DC area looking to replace their brand new 19" Slipstream wheels with 21" Sonic Carbon Twin Turbine Wheels for a nominal extra cost? Let me know if anyone in the DC area is interested and you have pristine 19" Slipstream wheels with new tires.

I ended up getting a inventory S75D late last year, and it was already equipped with the 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels. I told them as part of the sale, I'd like those swapped out for the 19" slipstreams. Well, guess what the car showed up with. For the first week or two, I was like I'm gonna make them swap these out. But they grew on me... I then ordered the 19" slipstreams with winter tires from the tesla store, cause I had a trip to the midwest for the Christmas Holiday. After waiting a few weeks, and getting no shipping confirmation, I cancelled the order and got a winter wheel and tire combo for several hundred less from tirerack, and it was delivered the very next day. I got the rial lugano wheels, they look good. https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/choo...-wheel-that-looks-great-on-your-tesla-model-s

Models S is a very heavy car. I run the 19" 10 (twin) spoke rims. I purchased slightly used or refurbished rims, TPMS from Ebay for about $155 for 4 and had them installed at a local tire and rim specialty shop for about $100. You can find rims and tires slightly used in the "For Sale Part" section of this forum.