Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel balance weights hitting suspension arm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a PSA to let people know of an issue I came across today on my S.

I got new all-season tires at Costco last year and put them on earlier today for the spring switch over. I rotated the wheels so that the rears are now on the front.

The balancing weights were installed too close to the inside of the rim such that it hit the suspension arm, making a small nick (probably 1 to 1.5mm deep). I heard click-click-click sounds as I was driving, and saw the damage once the car was parked.

I will be going to Costco tire center tomorrow to get them to remove the weights and install them somewhere else where they won't get in the way.

I'm going to assume that the damage to the suspension arm is cosmetic only, but any feedback is welcome.

IMG_8520.jpeg
IMG_8522.jpeg

Are the rims the same size as OEM (Tesla 19” rims offset was 40 and 8” width)? I have a summer set on 9”, but with offset 37mm and in front I need spacers to clear the suspension. Make sure they also check the bottom suspension links as there is not much space as well. Here is the clearence with mine without the spacer’s - I use 5mm at front only.

988DB72F-9FDF-460E-8F6E-20E66F491977.jpeg

AC0E8C40-AA9D-4A1D-B03F-DF824DFDE572.jpeg

Reactions: TorqueIt
Good point about the offset. My rims are 19" Rial Lugano, I don't have the measurements handy but the offset may be slightly different.

However this is the second set of tires on this rim; there wasn't any issue the first time around (in 2016) so I'm going to go with an installer issue on this one.

I didn't mention it earlier, but this was the 2nd time I had to go back to the installer. The first time they used weights which were too thick which did not clear a suspension bolt.

Reactions: KalJoMoS