Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING For Those Installing Aftermarket Arms, Links, etc such as N2itive, Mountian Pass, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me add to this thread as this is where I got the info on N2itive which solved a couple of problems I have had since day one of buying this car. I bought the 2021 MX on December 11th, 2020. The rear end had a noise, a 'lub-lub-lub' sound at 20mph and 40mph and would go away at 60mph. I didn't think much of it until I realized that the rear tire inner tread wear was from the manufacturing defect of too much negative camber that is not adjustable. I had been pumping a few pounds of air into one tire or the other on the rear until I got on my hands and knees and looked at the tires. It was sickening as I'd been through several tires now like this.

After talking with the guys at N2itive, I was put on the path to get this problem solved. I used one of the companies that N2itive provided me and was close by. Mike and Jenn at Advanced Performance here in Tampa have been in the tire and alignment business for over 20 years I learned after meeting them. Super nice people, honest and true old school folks. Mike installed these sweet N2itive rear camber arms and told me that I would get the best tire wear possible with these. He gave me a copy of the alignment readings before and after and sat down to explain it all to me.

Here's the added bonus. The 'lub-lub-lub- nose is absolutely gone. I only realized this a couple of days later and the joy came over me like goosebumps. I'm looking forward to have long tire life now and this quieter ride is something else. It makes me feel like I'm riding in a new car again. Oh, I also went to an independent tire shop that sold me the same Continental All Season tires but without the thin white foam, supposed noise canceling for $100 less that what Tesla has been selling me. The car seems quieter is all I can say and I'm happy about all of this now.

To add a bit more, Tesla did replace the front half shafts for me last year before the X went out of warranty. I had that shuddering sound on acceleration also. I no longer get on it or do launches for any one. I just enjoy the ride. Take care of the car and it will take care of you.

Another Update: Tesla thinks the cause of the clunking sound originates from the rear toe link arms. So they are on order and we will see if that gets rid of the issue. I’ll let you know!

Yes a rear toe link issue. I had that and this fixed it. I posted below in another thread.

In the future search your symptoms here in this forum and self-diagnosis and tell Tesla you already know what you need. if you search clunking speed bumps, you would have found this.

Concern: REAR TOE LINK ASSEMBLIES to address loud clunking noise over bumps from SV0124AD82
Performed Post-Repair Validation Test Drive. Replaced LH Rear Toe Link Assembly. Replaced RH Rear Toe Link Assembly.
removed and replaced both rear toe links. performed four wheel alignment, adjusted angles within manufacture specs, and road rested, during road test inspected for the clunking noise over bumps. verified vehicle drives straight and noise is no longer heard
Correction: Toe Link Assembly - Rear - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
REAR TOE LINK 1.00 ASSEMBLY(1420435-
99-G)
Correction: Toe Link Assembly - Rear - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
99-G)
Correction: Four Wheel Alignment Check and Adjust

• Helpful
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Sad to hear of your plight but not unexpected. I've posted in several threads about how Tesla typically won't touch any aftermarket parts. By that they won't support them, work on them, and often blame them for whatever problem you might have.

What I did to correct my excessive camber was the Macboost camber kit. Basically some shims. Tesla didn't see to have an issue with that when they installed my track pack brakes. Not as elegant a solution as the adjustable camber arms like N2itive but less bling and low profile. It didn't raise the attention of Tesla. YMMV of course.

It doesn't matter MMWA says unless you want to fight it in court. Tesla can stonewall you until you likely give up. I say that having worked in warranty adjudication years ago for major auto companies. Tesla is more anti-mod than almost anyone I can think of, even if you fix their screw ups.
Was this the kit you installed to fix the issue? if so, please provide the link. Thanks.

Was this the kit you installed to fix the issue? if so, please provide the link. Thanks.

Check this thread out for some custom made shims option by @ngng

Check this thread out for some custom made shims option by @ngng

I did the Macsboost camber kit (shims). Time is money and the shim approach was still being sorted out. Macsboost machined a nice shim plate and had good directions. For me it was worth the $200 I paid. I didn't feel like dropping a grand+ on camber arms I really didn't need. OTOH I easily dropped over 20k for my track pack brakes, wheels and tires.

I did the Macsboost camber kit (shims). Time is money and the shim approach was still being sorted out. Macsboost machined a nice shim plate and had good directions. For me it was worth the $200 I paid. I didn't feel like dropping a grand+ on camber arms I really didn't need. OTOH I easily dropped over 20k for my track pack brakes, wheels and tires.

The Macboost shims are NOT machined.

Yes a rear toe link issue. I had that and this fixed it. I posted below in another thread.

In the future search your symptoms here in this forum and self-diagnosis and tell Tesla you already know what you need. if you search clunking speed bumps, you would have found this.

Concern: REAR TOE LINK ASSEMBLIES to address loud clunking noise over bumps from SV0124AD82
Performed Post-Repair Validation Test Drive. Replaced LH Rear Toe Link Assembly. Replaced RH Rear Toe Link Assembly.
removed and replaced both rear toe links. performed four wheel alignment, adjusted angles within manufacture specs, and road rested, during road test inspected for the clunking noise over bumps. verified vehicle drives straight and noise is no longer heard
Correction: Toe Link Assembly - Rear - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
99-G)
Correction: Toe Link Assembly - Rear - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
99-G)
Correction: Four Wheel Alignment Check and Adjust
Wish I would have known to search this. Cant find everything some days. Thanks for your post.

I don’t think me telling the Tesla tech what [I think] is broken on the car would make a bit of difference. Once they removed my N2itive arms and replaced them with Tesla OEM arms, they began to search for the cause of the clunking sound. They found it rather quickly….the rear links.

Tesla replaced the links under warranty. I had the N2itive rear arms put back on the car and Tesla sent me a $650 check to reimburse me for the reinstall of the N2itive arms they made me remove. The SA at Tesla told me he knows why I need those N2itive arms and he wished Tesla would fix their own OEM arms. Because of this, Tesla reimbursed me for the install of the N2itive arms.

It has been a couple of thousand miles since and still no clunking sound. I’m back to loving my Plaid.

I don’t think me telling the Tesla tech what [I think] is broken on the car would make a bit of difference.
I’ve told Tesla techs what I think is wrong, and sometimes quoted other people’s service invoices or part numbers or bulletins that I found on this forum, with success.

But I also didn’t change any suspension components, or have a reason to change any suspension components.

Obviously if the customer gives them information, they will consider that information, especially if the information is obviously relevant and looks like informed, accurate information.

Guys It’s NOT the camber arms. This idea that the camber arms may have caused stress to other suspension components is ridiculous. The amount of adjustment they provide vs the factory Tesla arms is minimal(just enough to reduce the obscene neg camber). I’ve had N2itive camber arms and lowering links in my 22 MS for 10k miles and it’s been perfect with zero issues. I have 14k miles on my lowered MS and I’m still on my original tires. Clearly the noise is something else that’s occurring with the OP.