Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel cover noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY came with the factory Gemini wheel covers. I've made sure that all of them are secured to the wheels as they're supposed to be. However, when I drive out of the garage, the wheels make noises like crinkling cellophane as the wheels rotate. I've tried again to make sure that the wheel covers are secured, and they are. My question is: are they supposed to make these noises, or am I missing something like felt or suede to put on the clips to quiet them down?

Many teslas including mine have that crackling sound you described when driving at low speeds. I had a service technician look at it when I first received the car - he said this is normal and nothing to be concerned about. I don't hear the sound when driving at higher speeds - so haven't bothered with it since then.

Thanks for the update! It's usually something simple, yet annoying (to my wife, anyway). With the windows up, I cannot hear the noise inside the car. However, those standing next to or close to the car did and wondered about it.

What I will do is to apply some narrow stick-on felt around the rim to cushion the wheel cover - and protect the rim from scratching.