Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pesky Hubcap Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I'm probably going to look stupid posting this but I'm really amazed at how something so "simple" can seemingly be so tough. So, I put after market hubcaps on my Model 3 wheels because they look way better than the stock version. However, like the stock version when I first took delivery of the car, it makes a noise-- except the hubcaps I bought make a way more obnoxious noise than the stock (I really can't describe it, so I attached a quick video --> Wheel Cover Noise).

It seems like the noise is coming from the marriage between the border of the hubcap and the border of the rim... I tried putting felt tape (just like what Tesla service provides) on the complete circumference of the hubcaps, no luck. Circumference of the rims, no luck. Circumference of the hubcaps and the rims, still no luck. Just to make sure I'm not going crazy, I took off the hubcaps entirely and just exposed the rims... and luck! But that's obviously not the goal here haha

I swear I've tried looking all over Online Reviews of the product, Forums, GPT-4, Claude 3, Copilot, etc. I even tried returning a set of hubcaps and bought a different brand w/ a different style and it's still persisting.

Is there a hidden secret that someone on this forum knows as a solve to this noise mystery? (Olive oil? Painters tape? etc)
Wheel Cover Noise Link

Regardless thank you, thank you

Hey, I'm probably going to look stupid posting this but I'm really amazed at how something so "simple" can seemingly be so tough. So, I put after market hubcaps on my Model 3 wheels because they look way better than the stock version. However, like the stock version when I first took delivery of the car, it makes a noise-- except the hubcaps I bought make a way more obnoxious noise than the stock (I really can't describe it, so I attached a quick video --> Wheel Cover Noise).

It seems like the noise is coming from the marriage between the border of the hubcap and the border of the rim... I tried putting felt tape (just like what Tesla service provides) on the complete circumference of the hubcaps, no luck. Circumference of the rims, no luck. Circumference of the hubcaps and the rims, still no luck. Just to make sure I'm not going crazy, I took off the hubcaps entirely and just exposed the rims... and luck! But that's obviously not the goal here haha

I swear I've tried looking all over Online Reviews of the product, Forums, GPT-4, Claude 3, Copilot, etc. I even tried returning a set of hubcaps and bought a different brand w/ a different style and it's still persisting.

Is there a hidden secret that someone on this forum knows as a solve to this noise mystery? (Olive oil? Painters tape? etc)
Wheel Cover Noise Link

Regardless thank you, thank you
I hope someone posts a useful answer. This has making me bats**t crazy! 🤯