Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When the VIN gets assigned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I live in the Netherlands.

I ordered my Model Y Performance in early September and a few days ago I received an email from Tesla asking whether I want to have the car delivered this year or next year. I choose this year. What happens next? Is there a known schedule of getting the VIN, I'll have a days to deal with the insurrance and the payment, Tesla needs some time to register the car, etc? I belive, the email I mentioned was just a shortlisting to see how many folks are ready to take the car this year.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I live in the Netherlands.

I ordered my Model Y Performance in early September and a few days ago I received an email from Tesla asking whether I want to have the car delivered this year or next year. I choose this year. What happens next? Is there a known schedule of getting the VIN, I'll have a days to deal with the insurrance and the payment, Tesla needs some time to register the car, etc? I belive, the email I mentioned was just a shortlisting to see how many folks are ready to take the car this year.

Thanks!
All fair questions but unfortunately not all will have exact answers.

• You are supposed to get your VIN then a notice to schedule a date for the delivery unless a date/time gets automatically assigned to you.
  • You will have to complete/have insurance prior to delivery. You will want to contact you insurance agent once you get your VIN.
  • You will need to setup payment soon. I normally wait until I have a VIN before processing it as I've seen Tesla delays for weeks/months from their estimated delivery date so it really depends on how sure you are with Tesla informing you that you will be getting your car this year. Once you have a VIN is more for sure unless there's some crazy issue that occurs. The downside is that you might only have a few days from getting the VIN to your scheduled delivery date/time. If the money is already in the bank and you're not going through a loan process, then you don't need to worry.