Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to replace tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The recommended replacement for a tire is 4/32. My '20 Contisilent is set always to low, 26K miles. The middle part of the tire tread reads 6-7/32 and the outer part reads 3-4/32. Tire wear bars still look good. Which tire tread depth do I go with, the middle part or the outer part? Thank you all.

The recommended replacement for a tire is 4/32. My '20 Contisilent is set always to low, 26K miles. The middle part of the tire tread reads 6-7/32 and the outer part reads 3-4/32. Tire wear bars still look good. Which tire tread depth do I go with, the middle part or the outer part? Thank you all.
Generally, if you lose outer treads, you start to lose traction on rainy days, in tight corners and emergency maneuvers. So it is better to replace it but you can keep using it legally until one of the wear bars go out.

So it depends - if you want to save money and drive carefully in rain or other slippery conditions, it's perfectly fine. On the other hand if your car is driven by your son/daughter or your wife and you worry about safety, then replace them.
I usually wait for one more month if the outer/inner gets 4/32, and all wear bars are clearly alive, when I don't have a plan for roadtrip.

Tires are "recommended" at 5mm. On standard tire gauges 4-5mm is the yellow caution zone, and 3mm and below is red/unsafe.

You always go off the lowest recorded number, not whatever one you choose. Theoretically, if your inner part of the tire is at 3mm, and the outer is at 7mm, then your tire is worn down to 3mm, not 7.