Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Two Flicks Doesn't Turn On Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened twice in the last week. I flick the stalk down twice, but, maybe because the first flick happened before it was ready for autopilot, autopilot wasn't turned on, and I was only in TACC mode. No error sound, as would happen if flicking before the steering wheel icon was on.

That's a problem because I thought AP was on and had to catch the car before it drove out of the lane.

Yes, it's partially (mostly?) on me because I should have noticed that the AP sound didn't occur, but humans make mistakes, and I want the car to help me prevent those.

I’ve not seen that happen. I suspect you’re not letting the stalk return to the neutral position between the two clicks, so the car only sees a single click. I guess just be a little more deliberate in two independent clicks on the stalk in the future.

probably shouldn't point out that the car also uses the blue steering wheel icon, the blue lane markings, the "centered" feel to the steering wheel as other indicators that wouldn't have been present - as well as the lack of confirmation sound.
Having said that, I feel your pain, the car tracks so eerily straight most the time that I sometimes forget I didn't engage AP. Its only either a corner or a glance at the display that wakes me up :rolleyes::D

The other one I do is using NOA and deciding to change destination, I cancel the route and get surprised a few minutes later when I realize its still got AP engaged - true first world problems!

I’ve not seen that happen. I suspect you’re not letting the stalk return to the neutral position between the two clicks, so the car only sees a single click. I guess just be a little more deliberate in two independent clicks on the stalk in the future.

That could be, but I'm pretty sure this only happens when I've just gotten on the road and turned on AP. But I will pay attention and see if that's it.

... sometimes forget I didn't engage AP. Its only either a corner or a glance at the display that wakes me up :rolleyes::D

Yes. I'd say that's happened to me about four times in the eleven months I've had the car.