Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will be the Tesla NEMA 14-50 Adapter restock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar problem -- I ended up just getting a NEMA 6-50 adapter and installing a 6-50 outlet. It's the same, for all intents and purposes. I actually ran into this BEFORE I installed the outlet and saved a small amount because 6-50 doesn't require you to run a neutral line.

I had a similar problem -- I ended up just getting a NEMA 6-50 adapter and installing a 6-50 outlet. It's the same, for all intents and purposes. I actually ran into this BEFORE I installed the outlet and saved a small amount because 6-50 doesn't require you to run a neutral line.
Tesla offered wall charger with NEMA 14-50 plug so it may be a good idea just install the 14-50 outlet...

I am going to wait to hit the lo
I bet if you look in Ebay you'll find plenty for like $100 each, they sell out in minutes.
Tesla needs to restrict the sale to people with a Tesla or VIN.

They are around $50 on ebay right now.

I don't even need one, but I want one because they are so hard to get. I have a NEMA 6-50 in my garage that your tax dollars overpaid to install when I got my Volt in 2011, and it's doing a fine job with my Tesla charger. It's very easy to get the 6-50 connector.

Tesla offered wall charger with NEMA 14-50 plug so it may be a good idea just install the 14-50 outlet...

I'm confused by this response. I bought a 6-50 adapter for my wall connector from Tesla -- I didn't buy anything third-party or dangerous. Other than wider availability of 14-50 plugs (RV parks etc.) there's nothing wrong with a 6-50 plug. Many people have these in their garages for welders anyway. I didn't feel like waiting for the 14-50 to come back in stock and, for my purposes, it didn't matter what outlet I had in the garage as it was just going to be exclusively used for the Tesla anyway.

I'm confused by this response. I bought a 6-50 adapter for my wall connector from Tesla -- I didn't buy anything third-party or dangerous. Other than wider availability of 14-50 plugs (RV parks etc.) there's nothing wrong with a 6-50 plug. Many people have these in their garages for welders anyway. I didn't feel like waiting for the 14-50 to come back in stock and, for my purposes, it didn't matter what outlet I had in the garage as it was just going to be exclusively used for the Tesla anyway.
Yeah, your right. I mean if you consider upgrade to tesla wall connector later.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wallconnector_NEMA_14-50_en_us.pdf
It may be a good idea to install the 14-50 outlet at first place...

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
So I was in same position as OP when I wanted to buy 14-50 plug. As soon as I ordered our first SR+ had electrician wire a 14-50 outlet but every day I checked Tesla web site it said “out of stock”.

After a few weeks I just selected “contact me when back in” option on Tesla web site. About a week later I got a email they were in stock so purchased online maybe 15 minutes after email notification. Next day out of curiosity I checked Tesla web site and the plug was out of stock again.

if your not in big rush, just ask for notification when in stock but jump on it when you get the notice.

Reactions: Matsayz
Did you register for an email notification for when they would be restocked ?

I did. A week later I got an email.
I logged into the website and it said that they were out of stock.
I went back to the email, and clicked on the link in the email, and I was able to buy one.

So it looks like, when you register for an email, when it arrives, they hold the adapter for you, and not make it available from the website.

jp

Did you register for an email notification for when they would be restocked ?

I did. A week later I got an email.
I logged into the website and it said that they were out of stock.
I went back to the email, and clicked on the link in the email, and I was able to buy one.

So it looks like, when you register for an email, when it arrives, they hold the adapter for you, and not make it available from the website.

jp
Interesting. Sound like a queue.

Are you after this one?

plug.jpg