Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the gps antenna on raven cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 Model S has forgotten where it is - map is frozen at a location. Prior to it completely freezing up, it showed the vehicle offset a bit from the road it was on, and directions would get confused if there were other roads that aligned with the erroneous location.

So, took it in for service. They have told me that there's a nick in one of the back window traces, which is the defrost, but somehow that is used by the GPS too, so I need a new rear window. And maybe a new GPS antenna. But this seems like nonsense. What does continuity of the rear window traces have to do with the GPS, except that you might have to remove and reinstall the rear window to get to the GPS antenna - so they want me to buy a new rear window. So confused.

Am I being taken for a ride? Any other ideas for resolving a stuck GPS?

My 2020 S has recently been unsure of its position on switching on the car, the icon being miles away and pointing in any direction. Never used to take any time to get the ephemeris and almanac but not so now.

Y’all need new GPS antennas.

The unfortunate thing is, to replace the actual antenna, you have to break the rear glass. If you’re under warranty, Tesla will do it….but on the 4th service trip. They try literally everything else first.

Or, you can buy a replacement antenna and just stick it to the inside of the rear glass, and then plug it in to the factory harness.

This is what I used until I could get the SC to fix mine.