TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where to purchase a soft top?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by tvuolo, Nov 30, 2014.

1. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Hi guys,

I finally took the plunge and purchased #265! I should have it in a few weeks. I have no idea how some of you waited YEARS.

#265 has no soft top, only the hard top. Where is the best place to start looking for a soft top? Are there model years of Elise tops that fit? Should I just call Tesla?

Thanks!

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Was that the one that was on eBay from CT?

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your "new" Roadster! I am also a recent new owner, of #425.

This post appears to demonstrate that a Lotus Elise soft top fits a Roadster. Lotus Elise with Tesla Roadster softtop

I just Googled "lotus elise soft top for sale". Lots of results.

How about posting some photos of your Roadster?

4. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Yes, that's the one.

5. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

You outbid me!

6. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Sorry Dennis. I knew I was going to ruin someone's night. But since you already have one... I don't feel too bad. ;-)

7. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I quit the bidding WAY early... I think you got a great deal there and it's an awesome color.

8. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I ordered a 2006 Elise soft top a while back; they do indeed fit. (I just needed a cable since one of mine snapped; I figured I might as well get some other spare parts at the same time).

9. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Looks like you got a good deal. I also had my eye on that car. I was just "window shopping", though. I have a few things to get out of the way first, and then hopefully in a couple of months I'll really be in the market for one.

10. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

In case someone else is looking in the future... You can just call your closest Service Center and they can order a soft top. It takes about a month and costs just over $1K. I couldn't find a better deal with shipping on the internet at today's exchange rates. The local Lotus dealer wanted about the same and estimated 6 weeks.

I can't imagine not liking the soft top. Is there a market for used hard tops? Is there a compelling reason to keep the hard top?

@ecarfan - I'll post pictures as soon as I have a chance to wash it. I just took delivery on Monday afternoon and have been driving the heck out of it rather than washing it. It was loaded on the truck in a rain storm, so it was quite dirty. And the interior has a "film" over everything. I'm not sure what that is -- maybe residue from a cleaning product? The previous owner had it "detailed" once per month, but his definition and mine differ. I suspect he took it to the local quick hand wash shop.

I have so much to learn.

11. ibcs

ibcs Member

Welcome to the roadster club. It's one membership that will give you a smile every day.

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I just had a new CF hard top (that I purchased used back in the spring) put on the car today...very nice, the cockpit is both warmer & quieter).

The Ranger also delivered a new soft top that I had ordered a long time ago...(certainly took longer than a month)...hope my wait time was just a one-off!...

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, the hardtop definitely is warmer and quieter - I'm sure you appreciate it since you routinely drive your Roadster in winter.

I find since getting the Model S that the Roadster tends to go out on nice days when I don't need the roof. As a result I barely used the soft top this summer, never mind the hard top!

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

@ tvuolo, will you be driving your car in the winter? ..if so, it would be the time to install it...no way would I want the hard top on in the summer though...

15. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

@Jaff, Yes I'll be driving in the winter unless it's going to snow. The thing about Colorado is that we can have snow one week, then next week have convertible weather. That's why I don't think I'll use the hard top at all.

16. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

My hardtop only goes on for the Minnesota winter... As soon as it hits 40 in the spring the top comes off and I let my hair blow and my wife freeze! I will be ordering the glass top.