Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Alpine remote? (for the Infotainment system)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tired of leaning forward to mess with the Alpine touch screen. Does anyone have recommendations for an Alpine IR remote? Local retailers who carry Alpine do not stock this accessory, and there's no sense in having them order something that I can order direct from Alpine anyway. I just don't know which one would be best, which is why I was hoping to find a local retailer who might let me try one out for the actual experience.

$50.00 RUE-4190 universal audio/nav/DVD/TV
$60.00 RUE-4140 nav/audio
$20.00 RUE-4202 non-nav, Alpine says 2005-present, online retailers say 2005-2007

My Tesla Service tech has some experience with car stereos, and recommended that I try stopping by a store that carries Alpine to borrow one of their demo remotes. Even though they do not stock remotes for retail sale, we thought maybe they might have one on hand for demonstrating their head units (although I imagine they'd be stolen fairly quickly). So far, no luck in Seattle.

So, Nigel, why don't we each buy a different one and report back here?

You grab the $20 RUE-4202 (unless you think it won't meet your needs).

I'm thinking of picking up the $60 RUE-4140 (just because it's not as huge an unwieldy-looking as the slightly cheaper 4190).

I guess the worst case is that one or both of them won't work - but everyone seems to be telling me that all Alpine remotes work with all of their head units. That seems likely, and is certainly technically possible. My only concern was the third-party online retailer who said 2005-2007, making me wonder about the 2008-2011 model compatibility, but that's probably more of a side-effect of poor web shopping database entry.

I bought a RUE-4190 and it works well with the audio portion of the Alpine unit, but does nothing with the nav portion. However, since I use the speedometer in the Alpine unit, I found that this remote allows me to change channels/tracks when I'm listening to the radio (broadcast or satelite), iPod or CD without switching from the speedometer display. It was very annoying to want to change channels/tracks and navigate away from the speedometer and then have to go through all the screens to get back to it. However, if you change source - FM to Sirius for example - the screen will switch to the audio screen and you will have to navigate back to the speedometer.

I ordered this from Crutchfield but did not know about the RUE-4140 as it was not in Crutchfield's online catalog.

I did have some issues with where to store the remote. The tray under the transmission buttons works, but is a pain to try to get to when driving, and if I have a passenger, I can't use the seat. So I created this mount from an old GPS gooseneck mount I had. The old GPS unit is no more and the new models use different mounts so I was able to reuse this gooseneck for the remote. I screwed the remote mounting bracket to the gooseneck mount and suction cupped it to the bottom of the center console. There is a nice flat area directly under the transmission buttons that works with the suction cup. The remote resides next to the center console. I do have to remove it when I need to use it since the beam needs to be in direct line of sight with the remore receiver on the front of the Alpine unit. But it works well.

RUE4190.jpg
TomTom Gooseneck.jpg
Center Console.jpg
Remote Mount.jpg
Remote Mount 2.jpg

However, since I use the speedometer in the Alpine unit, I found that this remote allows me to change channels/tracks when I'm listening to the radio (broadcast or satelite), iPod or CD without switching from the speedometer display. It was very annoying to want to change channels/tracks and navigate away from the speedometer and then have to go through all the screens to get back to it.]

Good grief, that is the most elegant solution to this problem I have heard of and finally makes sense for why to have a remote in a car of this size. Brilliant.

Time to find the remote that came with the Alpine unit in my roadster (thankfully the Hong Kong units come with such a remote).

P.S. The Alpine IVA-W520E unit that comes with Hong Kong roadsters has a little soft button on the top-right of the navigation screen. pressing that brings up basic audio controls (pause, prev track, next track, etc), as an overlay, without having to move out of the GPS. But, I still like the idea of a remote with physical buttons for better control of this.

Great job Fabrizio. My Roadster is currently being built and I am still undecided as to whether or not to change the Alpine head unit out. It is nice to have your solution in case I do; in my test drives I have found the UI on the head unit not very enjoyable to use. Thanks for posting so many of the details. Enjoy your new set up!

So, Nigel, why don't we each buy a different one and report back here?

You grab the $20 RUE-4202 (unless you think it won't meet your needs).

I'm thinking of picking up the $60 RUE-4140 (just because it's not as huge an unwieldy-looking as the slightly cheaper 4190).

I like Fabrizio's idea as I also like to use the speedometer in the Alpine unit when I'm on the freeway. Alpine says the rue-4140 works with any headunit and I found that you can buy them here for $29.95.

(Update: 3 hours after ordering, I received the UPS tracking info! Fast service from millionbuy.com)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Fabrizio, your report on the RUE-4190 is very helpful. Someone will have to follow up with a report on the RUE-4140 to see whether it supports navigation functions or is as equally helpless as the RUE-4190. I like your technique for multitasking with the Alpine.

Nigel, I really appreciate the link. I was almost going to buy the RUE-4202 for $20, since it seems that navigation functions might not work anyway, but for only $10 extra I've decided to give the RUE-4140 a try.

Received the RUE-4140 this morning (good service by MillionBuy.com).

The short review: it's exactly the same as Fabrizio's review of the RUE-4190 (see post above!). Doesn't work with the navigation, so I would have been pretty ticked off if I had paid $60.

The detailed review: A comfortable size in your hand and it comes with batteries and a holder that can be fixed with screws or double sided tape (supplied). Most of the buttons are wasted as they apply primarily to navigation functions. There is a nice big "source" button which makes switching between music sources very easy as it toggles between the sources whereas you need to touch the screen twice on the normal UI. Convenient volume controls with raised indicators so you can feel them in the dark; talking of which, the keys light up if you press the audio/nav switch on the side. The mute button is right below the volume controls but is a different shape and easy to use without looking down. When using a broadcast music source, the "band" button comes in handy for switching between stations and whens using Sirius presets. On recorded music sources (ipod/iphone) the toggle "enter" button can skip you forwards or backwards and also pause. The "menu" button brings up sub-menus such as fader/balance etc. but you have to make the adjustment on the touchscreen UI which is pretty silly. The "enter" button is a joystick and on HD Radio or Sirius and pushing right or left tunes up or down the stations, while moving the joystick up or down tunes through the presets. Personally, I try not to use the phone while driving but the RUE-4140 does nothing at all in the phone function.

Overall: Don't pay $60 for this; the cheaper models have the exact same functions when it comes to the Roadster Alpine head unit. If you can get it for a good price, it's neat and easy to use.

Last edited:
I agree with NigelM. I just got the RUE-4140 as well. The main use I like it for so far is simply being able to reach for the remote (keep it in the passenger seat) and change the volume or skip tracks on my iPhone without having to take my eyes off the road.