TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Which charging adaptors does Model 3 come with?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Darthbenji, May 30, 2018.

1. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

As the thread title asks, does the car come with any or do they need to be purchased separately?

2. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Pardon the misspelling of adapter. Ugh

3. Buggle

Buggle Member

comes with

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Same as the Model S and X. NEMA 14-50 and 5-15 adapters for the UMC and a J1772 adapter.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

So in plain English this means that you can plug it into normal Level 2 EV chargers that you see in parking garages/hotels/etc, a 120V wall plug and a 240V wall plug. If you want to use Level 3 fast chargers, other than Tesla SCs, then you may need an adapter. So if you plan to drive to the Maritimes this summer then you may need an adapter - by next summer you should be ok. If you are just driving the Windsor - Quebec City corridor you should be ok, the same with driving from Toronto north to Sudbury.

• Informative x 1
  6. Pman78

Pman78 Member

this is so helpful for us newbies, thanks.
    Also, perhaps a dumb Q but I had an 'S' owner tell me that b/c i have a dryer in my cottage garage (and there's a 220v panel there) i could simply plug the car into the dryer plug ? Does this make sense?

7. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

Depends on what plug you have. I’m assuming you have a 6-50

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.46.2

With the correct adapter, you should be able to plug into the dryer outlet. If you plan on using that outlet a lot, you might consider just getting a Dryer Buddy which allows you to use the one outlet for either the dryer or the car.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You should read this series of web pages about home charging options, then come back here with any questions.
    Home Charging Installation

Note there are different 240V outlets for dryers. You need to know which you have in order to know which adapter you need— and they are 30A outlets, not 50A outlets.

10. Pman78

Pman78 Member

pretty sure it is a 6-50 yes. just ordered the tesla charger but might return it if it's redundant.

11. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

Ours works well. We use it on trips to Ottawa when visiting family. There is a plug in our barn. We only go once every 3 weeks but now it isn’t much worth it anymore with Casselman

12. Pman78

Pman78 Member

thanks for this Texas. Had not seen it before..