Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging adaptors for Model 3 [UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A real newbie question and apologies if this is covered elsewhere on the forum.

I am a new Moderl 3 owner. Absolutely love the car. So far have only charged at dedicated 'Tesla Superchargers'.

So my question is: With the remainder of the EV public charging UK system will I need an adaptor, or indeed more than one adaptor in order to use them...

I am a new Moderl 3 owner. Absolutely love the car. So far have only charged at dedicated 'Tesla Superchargers'.

So my question is: With the remainder of the EV public charging UK system will I need an adaptor, or indeed more than one adaptor in order to use them...
IIRC, new UK Teslas use the EU standard CCS2 plug, so you just need an account to charge on a non-Tesla DCFC.

Reactions: Michellis and a1psx
IIRC, new UK Teslas use the EU standard CCS2 plug, so you just need an account to charge on a non-Tesla DCFC.
For DC aka rapid charging, the CCS plug is part of the charger. But for AC charging, which is Type 2, or top part of CCS socket on car, all bets are off but normally you would need to use the Type 2 double ended (but each end slightly different) cable that I believe is still supplied with the car. The UMC brick and cable is for plugging into regular 3 pin socket in it’s supplied form.

Short answer is no. You can use any public charger.

Slower ac charge points will normally require you to use your own cable as supplied by Tesla. Others will have the cable attached to the charger.

Different charging companies have different was of collecting payment so you may need to download an app … though they are moving towards tap to pay.

Which Tesla have you got? If it's a 3 or Y, or one of the new Left Hand Drive S or X then no you won't need an adapter. You'll have a CCS connector which is what public charging uses for fast DC.

If you have an older S or X then you will need an adapter as they use a Tesla proprietary way of doing very fast charging, and you'll need to get this from Tesla as there may be modifications also required to the car. You also need it at many of the newer SuperChargers as Tesla don't fit the previous connector anymore.

You won’t need a cable or adapter.

You will need:
1. An app for the type of charger you wish to use.
2. An account for that charger.
3. All the stars to align so a third party charger is actually working.
4. Lots of spare time to fiddle about with points 1-3.
5. Lots of patience to resolve points 1-4.
6. Lots of luck.
7. Some fairy dust.

Good luck 👍🏻

• Funny
Reactions: Magstauk

I should add that this is different in the USA… so check the origin of any posts you read on the forum as they may give you incorrect information… even in the UK&Ireland section.

You won’t need a cable or adapter.

You will need:
1. An app for the type of charger you wish to use.
2. An account for that charger.
3. All the stars to align so a third party charger is actually working.
4. Lots of spare time to fiddle about with points 1-3.
5. Lots of patience to resolve points 1-4.
6. Lots of luck.
7. Some fairy dust.

Good luck 👍🏻
2019 called, they want their answer back.

Which Tesla have you got? If it's a 3 or Y, or one of the new Left Hand Drive S or X then no you won't need an adapter. You'll have a CCS connector which is what public charging uses for fast DC.

If you have an older S or X then you will need an adapter as they use a Tesla proprietary way of doing very fast charging, and you'll need to get this from Tesla as there may be modifications also required to the car. You also need it at many of the newer SuperChargers as Tesla don't fit the previous connector anymore.
Since he began his post by saying "I am a model 3 owner" I am going to go out on a limb and say he is probably trying to charge a Model 3?

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
2019 called, they want their answer back.
In an ideal world yes but given that some chargers want to ring fence payment and then return it later, that may not be desirable with contactless either.
I also join the comments of "Get an Electroverse card" and also "Chargeplace Scotland" just in case.
Electroverse and Elli also covers much of Europe for roaming and hassle free authentication from my limited experience.

Superchargers for the win though.

In an ideal world yes but given that some chargers want to ring fence payment and then return it later, that may not be desirable with contactless either.
I also join the comments of "Get an Electroverse card" and also "Chargeplace Scotland" just in case.
Electroverse and Elli also covers much of Europe for roaming and hassle free authentication from my limited experience.

Superchargers for the win though.
Agreed i'll give you ringfencing of payments as a 2023 charging (and pay at pump petrol problem) but compared to the 2019 problem of not being able to get a charge due to not having the app and not being able to down load it over a 2G mobile signal it still feels like progress.

And lets not forget Superchargers these days are anywhere from 10-50% cheaper than the alternatives generally dependant on time of day etc

Reactions: djtaylor
Yep, I'm still suffering PTSD from trying to charge our Nissan Leaf in 2015 when 50kWh chargers were free. Left home with 20 miles range on a quest for free 'leccy. First one... Out of service. Down the dual carriageway and try the other side, working but no comms for the NFC card to authenticate.
Got back home with "- - -" miles remaining and that concluded my public charging thereafter!

Good point. Everything is much better now. Oh wait…….
No just different.
Points 1 and 2 are generally not true any more now and there are enough multi charger hubs that you don't generally have to rock up at a location with a single charger and find it broken or ICED and thus points 4-7 are then moot.
New decade new problems.
2023 has its own set of challenges such as being bankrupted by the cost or finding the 12 charger hub you sensibly picked has 18 cars ahead of you with the same idea and half of them only charge at 50kw.

Reactions: M1tch
Short answer is no. You can use any public charger.

Slower ac charge points will normally require you to use your own cable as supplied by Tesla. Others will have the cable attached to the charger.

Different charging companies have different was of collecting payment so you may need to download an app … though they are moving towards tap to pay.
Thanks. And apologies for late reply!