Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 with Enhanced Autopilot does not lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 has Enhanced Autopilot but does not change lanes automatically when I turn on the turn signals. It also fails to summon when asked to do so. When I make the Summon request, I hear a clicking noise, but the car does not move. I purchased the car in 2019 used with 4K on the odometer and failed to realize that these featured were not working if they were supposed to. Does my car need maintenance of a hardware upgrade? I think the later models have these two features. It self-drives down the freeway in one lane perfectly.

Are you in EAP, with the two blue lines, when you hit turn signal? Is the other lane free to move in to? Are you holding the turn signal down at the half point, or pushing all of the way down? Any notifications as to why it is not changing lanes?

For Summons, where is your car? Do you have adequate clearance? Are you on an upgrade or downgrade? Are you using Forward, Reverse, Come to Me, or Go to a Point?

Have you read the Owner’s Manual to understand how each of these features work?

I have a 2018 Model 3 with EAP and they all work fine.

Yes I have the two blue lines and the other lane is open for me to enter. I have tried pulling down the turn signal part way for the lane change and all the way down for turning and holding the lever part way down in the land change position. I get no notification. I have tried it with notification on or off which is a setting of choice in the Autopilot menu.

For Summons, I have tried with the car in my driveway and me standing in the street. My garage is tight for two cars, so I remove my other car and tried it with the Tesla sitting in the middle of the garage with adequate space all around it. I am standing in the driveway near the street.

I have the owner's manual filled with yellow marker covering everything that should affect my problem. The problem with understanding the owner's manual is that it does not define exactly what is available in Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot or FSD. I didn't know what to expect when I purchased the car. I bought the car in 2019 with 4K on the speedometer. I didn't know the car had Enhanced Autopilot and when I saw that it did, I was happy with lane centering and Adaptive Speed Control. After reading on the forum, I learned that something is missing. You have confirmed that, thank you. I have a number of other cars and some with Adaptive Speed Control, but only the Tesla has Autopilot that stays in the lane.

I know that my Tesla was in an accident and that is why the price was so attractive. I suspect that the radar sensor is not working correctly. When I drive it into the garage, I do not get a notification when to stop. I could drive right into the back wall. My Jaguar XKR will not automatically stop but give me a warning. My Lexus will show me exactly where to stop with a front camera. My front camera on the Tesla does not show me anything when pulling into the garage. I turn on the rear camera and use that to know when to stop.

I really like driving the Tesla. It corners as well and accelerate as fast as my Corvette. It is the most reliable car that I have ever owned. I have only had one problem to fix and that cost me less than $100.

I really appreciate your comments and would like to know what you think might be a problem.

It sounds like your Ultrasonic sensors may not be working correctly either. They are what shows the distance of objects around the car.

For Summons, it will only move 30 feet forward or reverse. If you are standing beyond 30 feet it will not work in forward or reverse. You really need to be standing close to the car as it moves and move with it.

What Autopilot CPU do you have? 2.5 or 3.0?

It sounds like you may need to have Tesla Service to check it out for you.

Yes I have the two blue lines and the other lane is open for me to enter. I have tried pulling down the turn signal part way for the lane change and all the way down for turning and holding the lever part way down in the land change position. I get no notification. I have tried it with notification on or off which is a setting of choice in the Autopilot menu.

For Summons, I have tried with the car in my driveway and me standing in the street. My garage is tight for two cars, so I remove my other car and tried it with the Tesla sitting in the middle of the garage with adequate space all around it. I am standing in the driveway near the street.

I have the owner's manual filled with yellow marker covering everything that should affect my problem. The problem with understanding the owner's manual is that it does not define exactly what is available in Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot or FSD. I didn't know what to expect when I purchased the car. I bought the car in 2019 with 4K on the speedometer. I didn't know the car had Enhanced Autopilot and when I saw that it did, I was happy with lane centering and Adaptive Speed Control. After reading on the forum, I learned that something is missing. You have confirmed that, thank you. I have a number of other cars and some with Adaptive Speed Control, but only the Tesla has Autopilot that stays in the lane.
To tell you if you have EAP, press the car icon, Software and see if it says "Enhanced Autopilot"
Tesla Enhanced Autopilot.A Guide by Only Used Tesla. Updated 2023

Enhanced autopilot comes with Navigate on Autopilot. Controls > Autopilot > Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) should show it. Do you have have that? Have you tried activating that to see what it does?
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...tml#GUID-DCD32F92-3F9C-41C7-8665-13B96FAC7AFD
I know that my Tesla was in an accident and that is why the price was so attractive. I suspect that the radar sensor is not working correctly. When I drive it into the garage, I do not get a notification when to stop. I could drive right into the back wall. My Jaguar XKR will not automatically stop but give me a warning. My Lexus will show me exactly where to stop with a front camera. My front camera on the Tesla does not show me anything when pulling into the garage. I turn on the rear camera and use that to know when to stop.
I think you mean the ultrasonic sensors. The radar has nothing to do with it. The ultrasonic sensors should show you the distance from the front in inches and then tells you to stop. This is included in any Tesla with AP, so something is wrong with your car if it does not have it.

Here's an example of what shows up:

If you never see that, you may need to check in service mode if your ultrasonic sensors are connected. Given your car was an accident car (salvaged?) it may not have been properly repaired.

My 2018 Model 3 has Enhanced Autopilot but does not change lanes automatically when I turn on the turn signals. It also fails to summon when asked to do so. When I make the Summon request, I hear a clicking noise, but the car does not move. I purchased the car in 2019 used with 4K on the odometer and failed to realize that these featured were not working if they were supposed to. Does my car need maintenance of a hardware upgrade? I think the later models have these two features. It self-drives down the freeway in one lane perfectly.
You bought the car used in 2019 so when you say my car has EAP, did it come with the car or did you add it later?
Were these features working before or you never used these features before?