Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which drives better - the new (G20) BMW 3-series, or the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
April 18 I bought a new performance ICE. Beautiful black on black Audi RS5.
I had a model 3 perf Rez but believed the negative press that they wouldn’t deliver on time.
The Audi was fantastic as a daily driver with AWD to handle the weather, 3.7 0-60 and solid tech.
Stickered around 82K when I bought it.
Last weekend I took a 3 performance overnight and it was game over. Ordered on 7/20 and took delivery today 7/25.
Added benefit I was still equity positive on the dinosaur relative to the new pricing on the 3 performance.
Have 2 co-workers test driving this weekend. Trying to do my part to keep showcasing what amazing vehicles these are,
particularly with the current features, pricing and quick delivery.
Whoa! Great story, I hope you don't have to pay state sales taxes?

April 18 I bought a new performance ICE. Beautiful black on black Audi RS5. I had a model 3 perf Rez but believed the negative press that they wouldn’t deliver on time. The Audi was fantastic as a daily driver with AWD to handle the weather, 3.7 0-60 and solid tech. Stickered around 82K when I bought it. Last weekend I took a 3 performance overnight and it was game over. Ordered on 7/20 and took delivery today 7/25. Added benefit I was still equity positive on the dinosaur relative to the new pricing on the 3 performance. Have 2 co-workers test driving this weekend. Trying to do my part to keep showcasing what amazing vehicles these are, particularly with the current features, pricing and quick delivery.

I also drove an RS5 Sportback when shopping. Beautiful car, but I liked the Model 3 P better overall despite it being ~$15K less expensive. The Audi salesman expressed utter contempt for the Tesla, which I told him he did at his own peril.

Congrats!

Reactions: Smiesguy
Motor Trend just did the comparison, too. The words said about the 3 were pretty surprising (in a very positive sense). One guy stated that the 3 made him really enjoy driving, again. Forget the exact phrasing. I'm sure that Car and Driver will still give the title to the BMW, but for the publications that aren't shills, the Tesla is far superior.

My sr+ really has made driving fun again. I have owned several cars in my 30 plus years of driving. My last car was a Mustang GT. My M3 may not be the fastest or sportiest car in my history but sure is the most enjoyable to drive :)

Reactions: Wyman
I don't care how many drag races and good handling comparisons these guys want to do, for around town driving nothing beats a Tesla (or any EV for that matter compared to ICE.) Let's be realistic here, the US and Europe are mostly urban now and the instant torque of EVs is what really makes them the king of the road in town. When you add in the quiet and not paying for gasoline (ICE get the worst mileage in town) there is no comparison. How many people go to tracks or have actual drag races with comparable cars?...Next to zero.

The instant torque is creates the "driving fun" of Tesla EVs. It is so hard to to replicate this amount of torque at such low RPM in an ICE based vehicle. You need real low gearing and a big V8 and when you do that with a RWD car you overpower the tires and can't put the power down anyway.
Plus you tend to break things in the transmission and clutch. I know someone that tried to do exactly what you said.