Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which drives better - the new (G20) BMW 3-series, or the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you post the result of the video so that those of us who are not interested in watching a 9-10 minute car review get the cliff notes version?

Even in base trim, with lesser tire fitment (A/S Contis or Primacy vs. the Pilot Sport 4S on the BMW), the LR RWD Tesla Model 3 is more fun to drive around a track than the BMW 3 series, even with some track and dynamic handling upgrades.

• Helpful
Reactions: kelly
Its funny because I watched that video above and then watched this one below and they have different opinions which surprised me after watching the first video. The video below seems to have the opinion that the BMW driving and handing is better compared to the 19" AWD Model 3 but the Duel Motor 3 is quicker in a drag race.

Last edited:
Its funny because I watched that video above and then watched this one below and they have different opinions which surprised me after watching the first video. The video below seems to have the opinion that the BMW driving and handing is better compared to the 19" AWD Model 3 but the Duel Motor 3 is quicker in a drag race.

As a 200 series Land Cruiser and Model 3 owner (TFL has both in their fleet too), I disagree with a majority of what they say, and especially with the Land Cruiser they are often factually wrong about the things they say. It's entertaining, but I would never take what they say as fact and may even go with the opposite of their recommendations.

Motor Trend just did the comparison, too. The words said about the 3 were pretty surprising (in a very positive sense). One guy stated that the 3 made him really enjoy driving, again. Forget the exact phrasing. I'm sure that Car and Driver will still give the title to the BMW, but for the publications that aren't shills, the Tesla is far superior.

It’s been unusually nice the past few days in Dallas so I left my Model P3 in the garage and took my BMW Z4 (6 cyl turbo, 300HP). The Z4 feels like an ancient slug compared to the Tesla. Not surprised that the new BMW 3 series isn’t “winning” vs. the Model 3, at least drivetrain wise.

It’s really shocking how much better the Tesla drivetrain is. And handling is fantastic, too. I can’t imagine that the new BMW 3 series has that much better handling to make up for the extreme difference in drivetrain.

Reactions: ICUDoc and cucubits
It’s been unusually nice the past few days in Dallas so I left my Model P3 in the garage and took my BMW Z4 (6 cyl turbo, 300HP). The Z4 feels like an ancient slug compared to the Tesla. Not surprised that the new BMW 3 series isn’t “winning” vs. the Model 3, at least drivetrain wise.

It’s really shocking how much better the Tesla drivetrain is. And handling is fantastic, too. I can’t imagine that the new BMW 3 series has that much better handling to make up for the extreme difference in drivetrain.

The instant torque is creates the "driving fun" of Tesla EVs. It is so hard to to replicate this amount of torque at such low RPM in an ICE based vehicle. You need real low gearing and a big V8 and when you do that with a RWD car you overpower the tires and can't put the power down anyway.

Reactions: Richt
April 18 I bought a new performance ICE. Beautiful black on black Audi RS5. I had a model 3 perf Rez but believed the negative press that they wouldn’t deliver on time. The Audi was fantastic as a daily driver with AWD to handle the weather, 3.7 0-60 and solid tech. Stickered around 82K when I bought it. Last weekend I took a 3 performance overnight and it was game over. Ordered on 7/20 and took delivery today 7/25. Added benefit I was still equity positive on the dinosaur relative to the new pricing on the 3 performance. Have 2 co-workers test driving this weekend. Trying to do my part to keep showcasing what amazing vehicles these are, particularly with the current features, pricing and quick delivery.

Love seeing all these videos coming out giving the 3 the praise it deserves from more popular Youtube channels. The 3's instantaneous response, nimble character and instant torque just elevate the car so much unlike anything else. Combine that with 1 pedal driving and you are at so much ease driving around or the instant you want to push it in the curves, you can focus so much more on precisely throttling it out of corners. It makes you a better driver in the process of this and I think that's what is so exciting about this different modality of getting around. Just imagine what the next gen 3 will be like with improvements in handling and higher end torque. I can only imagine how much fun the driver had in VW's I.D. R electric car around the Nurburgring and how much crazier it's going to get in the next 5 years or so.

Reactions: Watts_Up and ICUDoc