Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Nema connector to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla stopped shipping the 14-50 adapter with the vehicles in May, would it make sense to buy a 6-50 instead for a charging receptacle? The way I see it is that the 14-50 requires the neutral wire and its just one more wire to add to the conduit. I think the 6-50 will be a cheaper installation right, because it uses only 3 wires instead of 4?

FWIW - I had a 6-50 in my garage from the previous homeowner - he was a welder I think. I used the 6-50 adapter for about a year but then had my father (an electrician) swap the box for a 14-50. It was like a $15 part and the rest was his labour. Pretty much same code requirements for both.

I’d do a 14-50 as it’s more standardized. You can also use the 14-50 at almost everyone’s stove anywhere. ;). I have a 30 ft RV extension code with the neutral cut off so I can use either 14-30 (dryer) or 14-50 (range) when travelling. Just be sure to dial the current in the car first before you start charging.

Stay with the 14-50. It is much more common for EVs and even campers and motorhomes.

You'll also tend to find them on the road and most campgrounds will have them when needed.

It's always easier to not use a wire than to add one later.

It really depends on what you want or can have in your garage. Buy the adapter(s) which works for you.

I had a 14-30 socket and didn't seen any point spending $1,000 to get an additional 10A. So I use a 14-30 adapter (US$35) and the 14-50 sits unused in the frunk, for possible use it in an emergency.
I also acquired 5-20 and 6-20 adapters, which give me lots of options while traveling. And I have a 5-30 to 5-20 converter.

I see all your points and they are well taken. I am going to go with the 6-50 as this plug is supposed to be for EV only anyway and not campers/stoves etc. If 14-50 is more common everywhere else, I will just shell out the $50 for the adapter and keep it in the car. But for my home charging, I think the 6-50 makes more sense. Also my brother in law has an audi etron and his charger is a 6-50 type. Also my neighbors chargepoint is 6-50 too.