Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Model Y - is the lighting playing tricks on me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to chime in here too. Picked up our Y last Friday and the splotchy paint is so visible under low lighting. I have a service appointment scheduled for aug4 but that's after the return window. I don't know what to do...

easy answer: RETURN IT

they can't fix it without repainting, and since your return window is beyond your appointment, I wouldn't want to gamble that they'll agree to repaint your car for you.

While I'm sure there are some legit paint issues, lots of the pictures circulating online are under exposed with jpg artifacts. If you have to ask others if it has a problem, then you have your answer. Don't go looking for reasons to stress yourself out and enjoy the car. I can't wait for my white PUP to come.

• Disagree
Reactions: raggedy
I had the same issue on two Model Ys I took delivery of on Monday.

Tesla wouldn't budge on the paint issues. Said the white paint on both cars was within spec. So my only choice was to keep car as is or return under their 7 day return policy.

I returned them both this morning. So sad, they were great cars but just poor quality white paint. Apparently they already resold one of them while we were doing the return paperwork. I guess there are a lot of people who don't care or don't notice the paint problems.

Also I learned I am now banned from buying the same trim Model Y because I exercised a return. Will keep an eye on this forum and see if the paint improves. Definitely want to get two Y's again. May have to have a family member order them for me due to the ban

Good for you! I wish I had returned mine during the 7 day period but I believed their "fuzzy" inference that Service would take care of my issues. I learned a major lesson. I also don't understand them claiming gaps are in spec but won't reveal their spec. They can claim anything if they like. I don't under the business decision to penalize someone returning their vehicle for their problem by not letting them re purchase for one year. I suspect with their desire to sell cars, they will bend that rule quickly with a phone call.

Tesla just does not realize how much damage they do by shipping cars with things as simple as non uniform or too wide gaps and paint problems. Many people who are not Tesla fanatics will not seriously consider Tesla just because they hear of these problems. I have a friend who worked at the Vance Mercedes plant when it first opened and he said they made the gaps 1/4" so people would not notice the variations because they could not make them any better consistently. Even though he agrees they may have improved them since then, he still will not buy a Mercedes and is very vocal suggesting others don't. He tells his wife to not follow behind Mercedes because parts may fall off!