Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is buying model 3 plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $190K before tax is simply nuts. When the Model S P100D was introduced back in 2017 it was $170K. Now a 2020 Model S performance is about $140K.

I would imagine that in 2024 a new Plaid Model S would be much less than $190K. The folks with too much money can pay for the R&D for the first 3 years. Even if I could afford one (and I cannot), I wouldn't get one. The performance is about .5 seconds quicker than the current Model S performance. The added range (if that is accurate) is definitely a huge thing, but not worth $50K. I can't help but wonder that Elon is simply trying to "one up" the Lucid Air by stating specs that are slightly better than that car. Its the Elon way of doing things.

He did the same thing when the Taycan's numbers were released last year, he immediately sent a Model S to the Ring to do his his one step better routine.

Unless the overall quality/options of interior materials is significantly improved, I can't see how they will sell many of these cars at that price.

Reactions: hingisfan
From a customer point of view, I still don't understand why this Plaid version was introduced as another tier for the model S instead of replacing the P100D. The price gap is so big yet the look is exactly the same. You could almost get 2 long range Model S for the price of one Plaid. The 840+km range is insane but I doubt any Model S buyers would care for the 2.1 0-100 since the Roadster is also coming.

My guess is they were looking for a product to go head-to-head with the Taycan Turbo.

It should not be an issue! I drove the Taycan "turbo" for two weeks and found that I like to drive my 2013 Model S Performance better! The interior was nicer in the Porsche and suspension was better. Everything else EV was better in the Tesla. For $156,000 for the Porsche, Ill get the Tesla!

Reactions: gavine
It should not be an issue! I drove the Taycan "turbo" for two weeks and found that I like to drive my 2013 Model S Performance better! The interior was nicer in the Porsche and suspension was better. Everything else EV was better in the Tesla. For $156,000 for the Porsche, Ill get the Tesla!
$156,000? That must ber US$. The Porsche Canada website lists the Taycan Turbo having an MSRP of $174k and the Turbo S at $214k.

i think the reason model S plaid is priced so high because Elon is pressured to make a car to compete with super EV like Lucid Air and Porsche Taycan but can not afford eating away sales of lower range model S at the same time. He is think about
Osborne effect

I think S plaid pushes new roadster back another two years..... 2020 roadster becomes 2024 roadster. Easier to slap a better power train on the S than building a while new vehicle.
I fear you may be right, although I hope you're wrong. Especially since there's been virtually no news wrt Roadster 2.0 in some time. It definitely feels like Roadster is not even on the back burner, but perhaps on "keep warm" plate.