Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is Max and why is his referral link permanently attached to me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know a Max. Every time I look for a car on the website and click as if I'm going to buy I get a pop-up saying Max's referral link will give me 1000 miles charging - no option to opt out or give a referral link I want:

This happens on Chrome whether or not I am signed into my account
I have closed tab, restarted computer, logged out and logged in, deleted cookies, etc.
Nothing I do eliminates this and there is nothing in the url indicating a link

Any idea what is going on?

Didn't happen with opera

this is the url from opera

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

"{New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla}"

{"Design Your Model 3 | Tesla"}

when I pasted it into chrome it showed this:

Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

{"Design Your Model 3 | Tesla"}

so it looks like it added a "token"??????? can anyone make sense of this and tell me how to get rid of this token? Don't think malware would just affect this one website or would it?

EDIT I pasted the actual url but this site converted it to a direct link - just tried adding extraneous characters so that you can see the actual url but that didn't work - how can I show the url so u can easily see the token that was added?

Last edited:
Okay - I went back and deleted ALL cookies from any tesla website and I think that's cured it, but I'd like to know how it happened to prevent it from happening again.
I may have clicked a link from a youtube??? or other such site - didn't know that could permanently attach a link that never deletes - close window, browser, etc. I know I never put in a referral link myself (in fact only link was put in by SA when I ordered a few weeks ago - since I ordered a SR couldn't do it myself - and that referral has never shown up in my account)

There wasn't a code just a pop up saying "Max's referral will give u 1000...." or some such. Love to know who/what it was to be able to report it. (when I ordered the referral was 5k so I think this was added after that promo - don't remember exactly when I first saw it)