Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot randomly changes set speed on DC I66 Express Lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening Tesla Motors Club members and lurkers.

2023 Tesla Model 3, Long Range, 2023.20.7, no FSD. Car goes stupid, consistently, driving on I66 Express lanes outside the Beltway in the DC area.

We occasionally drive I66 in the greater DC metro area, from the Beltway out to Dulles and back. Now that the Express lanes are available we use that. The Express Lanes seem to appear in the Tesla GPS map but it doesn't show us driving on them, and the directions it provides don't use them (it assumes we're in the regular lanes). While using Autopilot with Traffic Aware Cruise Control, the car, along this stretch of road, consistently acts weird. It will change the maximum speed it's set to (and it's set not to change its speed based on the speed limit, I want it to go to the speed I set it to), and it will also just brake occasionally for no reason whatsoever without changing its set speed ("phantom" braking). It was so bad today, and we saw another Tesla seemingly doing it too, that we decided to count the occurrences on the way back toward the Beltway.

Over the (according to Google Maps) 9.7 mile stretch between VA 28 and I495, it changed the set speed from the set speed I had picked (potentially slightly above the 70 MPH express lane speed limit) to 60 MPH, to 30 MPH, to 55 MPH, to 77 MPH, a total of six times. An additional one time it phantom braked without changing its set speed.

I see a number of historical notes about this type of behavior:

It seems like this may occur because the car thinks it is trying to slow down for a turn or an exit because the map data is inaccurate (I do experience the car slowing itself down every day I drive to the office at one point of the drive, it changes down by 5 MPH in the exact same spot every day).

I have looked through the support page for Autopilot and Full Self Driving and at the bottom there is a Contact Us link. Clicking that takes me to a login page. When I log in it gives me a menu to select an issue, so I select Vehicle App and Features, Autopilot and Full Self Driving. It gives me a set of links that may help me. One of those is the same link I came from. I click it and it takes me back. It's a damn loop. How can I contact support about this? I was able to bug them about the wall connectors being stupid, for some reason they have a dedicated support email for that, but not for the actual cars??

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Reactions: KevinT3141

2023 Tesla Model 3, Long Range, 2023.20.7, no FSD. Car goes stupid, consistently, driving on I66 Express lanes outside the Beltway in the DC area.

We occasionally drive I66 in the greater DC metro area, from the Beltway out to Dulles and back. Now that the Express lanes are available we use that. The Express Lanes seem to appear in the Tesla GPS map but it doesn't show us driving on them, and the directions it provides don't use them (it assumes we're in the regular lanes). While using Autopilot with Traffic Aware Cruise Control, the car, along this stretch of road, consistently acts weird. It will change the maximum speed it's set to (and it's set not to change its speed based on the speed limit, I want it to go to the speed I set it to), and it will also just brake occasionally for no reason whatsoever without changing its set speed ("phantom" braking). It was so bad today, and we saw another Tesla seemingly doing it too, that we decided to count the occurrences on the way back toward the Beltway.

Over the (according to Google Maps) 9.7 mile stretch between VA 28 and I495, it changed the set speed from the set speed I had picked (potentially slightly above the 70 MPH express lane speed limit) to 60 MPH, to 30 MPH, to 55 MPH, to 77 MPH, a total of six times. An additional one time it phantom braked without changing its set speed.

It seems like this may occur because the car thinks it is trying to slow down for a turn or an exit because the map data is inaccurate (I do experience the car slowing itself down every day I drive to the office at one point of the drive, it changes down by 5 MPH in the exact same spot every day).

I have looked through the support page for Autopilot and Full Self Driving and at the bottom there is a Contact Us link. Clicking that takes me to a login page. When I log in it gives me a menu to select an issue, so I select Vehicle App and Features, Autopilot and Full Self Driving. It gives me a set of links that may help me. One of those is the same link I came from. I click it and it takes me back. It's a damn loop. How can I contact support about this? I was able to bug them about the wall connectors being stupid, for some reason they have a dedicated support email for that, but not for the actual cars??

That's all new construction.

Speed limits are pulled from sources unbeknownst to us and are independent of the map displayed on the screen. (i.e. we don't know how often or even by what process they're updated)

When they first started opening 66 back up after the major shifts my car would try to exit and re-enter at every.single.exit.

It'll eventually catch up but until then expect your frustrations to continue.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Drive the I66 several times a year and since they finally fixed the road and maps (I’m no longer driving through fields and across streets that don’t exist), I have seen the problems you are describing as well, but slightly differently.

Outbound on I66, it doesn’t seem to understand the express lanes and will tell me to take the exit that I can’t get to. In, it does see that I’m in the toll lanes and for my most recent couple of drives routes me correctly for the exchange with 495 using the express lanes.

Speed adjustments seem to work in reverse. Outbound on 66 (this tends to b between 5 and 6 in the mornin), it will hold the speed I want with only an occasional drop. Inbound, it it so bad I can’t use autopilot. Constantly changing speed between 70 and 55. This happens only in the areas where the express lane speeds are 70 and regular lanes are 55 so I think the different signs are confusing it. During the last bit of construction, there were a couple of places where it thought the speed limit was 25, but I haven’t seen that at all this year. I think that was related to map database errors.

You can’t contact support online anymore. It used to be the case that if the suggested links didn’t help, there was an option to contact support via e-mail or chat for more help, but no more.

Yes, I've noticed the same behavior on the I-66 Express Lanes. From what I've noticed, several of the incorrect speed adjustments occur when passing near the off-ramps in the center. My guess is that the car sees the traffic light at the end of the off-ramp and thinks that it is no longer on a highway. Additionally, the car also is reading the 55 MPH speed limit signs from the main lanes on the right.

I'm hopeful that these issues will be addressed by a future map update. For comparison, the car seems to work just fine on the I-495 Express Lanes without any spurious speed adjustments.

Drive the I66 several times a year and since they finally fixed the road and maps (I’m no longer driving through fields and across streets that don’t exist), I have seen the problems you are describing as well, but slightly differently.

Outbound on I66, it doesn’t seem to understand the express lanes and will tell me to take the exit that I can’t get to. In, it does see that I’m in the toll lanes and for my most recent couple of drives routes me correctly for the exchange with 495 using the express lanes.

Speed adjustments seem to work in reverse. Outbound on 66 (this tends to b between 5 and 6 in the mornin), it will hold the speed I want with only an occasional drop. Inbound, it it so bad I can’t use autopilot. Constantly changing speed between 70 and 55. This happens only in the areas where the express lane speeds are 70 and regular lanes are 55 so I think the different signs are confusing it. During the last bit of construction, there were a couple of places where it thought the speed limit was 25, but I haven’t seen that at all this year. I think that was related to map database errors.

Emphasis added. Yes, I see it react occasionally to the speed limit signs in the regular lanes, but it doesn't change the set speed in response (because I don't have the car set to "Speed Limit", I have it set to "Current Speed"). I had it set to "Speed Limit" when we first got it in December (though I think the option has changed names since then) but I didn't find that there was enough granularity in the settings. I want to be able to set it to a different speed variation depending on the speed limit detected. I.E. I don't want to be speeding in my neighborhood but when I'm on the highway go up to X over.

The behavior we experienced last weekend was on both the outbound and inbound sides (Westbound and Eastbound). I decided to create this original post when I saw another Tesla, a black Model Y, randomly braking along with us as we went along the highway.

A new map update just came out a few weeks ago. I was hopeful this would fix the issues, but it seems that it does not. The map now clearly shows both the new express lanes and the regular lanes, but I'm still seeing speed drops to 30 MPH and 55 MPH.

A new map update just came out a few weeks ago. I was hopeful this would fix the issues, but it seems that it does not. The map now clearly shows both the new express lanes and the regular lanes, but I'm still seeing speed drops to 30 MPH and 55 MPH.
Yeah I've experienced the same thing on both the 66 and 495 express lanes. Bouncing between the normal speed limit and the express lane limit. Haven't had it phantom brake down to 30mph though.

It seems the navigation via express lanes has improved over the last couple updates, but this issue persists.

It took Tesla 5 years to finally figure out how to incorporate the express lanes adjacent to I-75 on the north side of metro Atlanta into its navigation routings. There are still a few spots where the car suddenly thinks it's on an off-ramp from the main highway that is directly below the express lanes, and reduces the maximum speed accordingly. As a result, unless there's a backup that is causing traffic to go under 30 mph or so, I still usually avoid using EAP on the express lanes.

Nothing other than to say I've experienced all of the above, including the broken Contact Us. Also I've posted about the confusing "Report" voice command, wherein if you just say "Report" it will mark the time and location, but if you say "Report, Cruise Control Max to ... by itself," it will pop up a window with Cruise company locations. That gives me low confidence it got my message.