Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Denied? Because I already own Tesla Products?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a friends referral code, clicked the link site said referral applied ordered the vehicle. It stated we'd both get credits thanks for ordering etc. All was great, I took delivery and the next day I've got 10,000 credits and 6 months of supercharging. I checked with my friend and he got nothing. Called Tesla who said I didn't click the link which I did and I have a screen shot of the referral being added. I was then told the referral wouldn't apply to my friend as I already had purchased Tesla products in the past?

I've googled, trawled Tesla's website and I can't find a single thing anywhere that reflects if there are restrictions. If there are and I've missed it I'd appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction. Otherwise I feel another call to Tesla is in order as I feel they should give my friend his referral credit. Otherwise what's the point of using referrals if Tesla's are going to change the rules mid game.

It is listed on the website on Refer and Earn:
1702038876264.png

I had the same issue. My neighbour and I bought a Model S in 2018 and he recently ordered a Model Y with my referral. He got a €500 discount, but I didn't get anything because my neighbour already bought a Tesla before. If you already owned a Tesla, then it's called loyalty benefits.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Tesla doesn't allow a discount via the referral program on the Model 3 Highland in The Netherlands anymore. You can get it on a Model S/X/Y, but on the 3 it's not available. It looks they only grant the referrals for the models that they can ship fast. Waiting time for a long-range Model 3 Highland already is 8-12 weeks now.

Thanks for finding that and pointing to the source. To be clear, I purchased a another Model 3 (in the US), it was an inventory Model 3 using a referral code from a friend. He, the friend also has a Tesla product. So when I the buyer purchased the vehicle I was granted 10,000 credits and 6 months of supercharging. My friend got nothing.

Thanks for finding that and pointing to the source. To be clear, I purchased a another Model 3 (in the US), it was an inventory Model 3 using a referral code from a friend. He, the friend also has a Tesla product. So when I the buyer purchased the vehicle I was granted 10,000 credits and 6 months of supercharging. My friend got nothing.
If this is your first Tesla, then your friend is entitled to referral points. If you already owned a Tesla before, then he's not entitle to referral points.

Understood, so referrals are only going to give the referrer anything back if the person purchasing hasn't owned a Tesla product previously. This is good information to know. Thanks for sharing I do appreciate it.

Does anyone know how the referral system works with spouses? It clearly states that "family members" are eligible, but would some "community property" classification or being an authorized driver of my car qualify as "owning" a Tesla product and invalidate the referral?

My guess is if spouses have different accounts then that should work for the name that has never bought a Tesla.

My guess is if spouses have different accounts then that should work for the name that has never bought a Tesla.
I was going to do this with my wife but there is no longer much of an advantage. If I referred my wife on her own account I would get 10k credits, she would get 6 months free supercharging (although that looks like its available to everyone who orders before the end of the year) and 3 months of FSD. Referring yourself (loyalty credit) still gets you 10k credits and 6months of supercharging,

Personally, I don't think the 3mo. FSD is worth creating another account for my wife.

Reactions: Tam
You received the 10k credits because a “loyalty” credit was automatically applied since you’ve already owned a Tesla product.
Interesting. So if I end up buying an M3P before the end of Dec, as a previous '21 M3LR owner (sold it 1 year after purchase, due to issues), would I automatically get 6 more months of free supercharging, on top of the 6 currently on offer (for a year total)? Just curious, since I've never seen that before. Thank you.

Interesting. So if I end up buying an M3P before the end of Dec, as a previous '21 M3LR owner (sold it 1 year after purchase, due to issues), would I automatically get 6 more months of free supercharging, on top of the 6 currently on offer (for a year total)? Just curious, since I've never seen that before. Thank you.
It wouldn't be stacked, you would only get 6mo. free. It is confusing because that is the loyalty offer but is available to everyone as an end-of-year incentive. The loyalty offer would also include 10k referral credits which you could redeem for acceleration boost, etc.

Thank you. If I end up with a P, I wouldn't need that, but would need a mobile cable, and the cradle, since I included both with the sale of the car. Wonder if you could use those credits for any accessory. And I'd have to make sure I get them. Ha ha. Couldn't go today to Tesla, but plan to go tomorrow.

I used a friends referral code, clicked the link site said referral applied ordered the vehicle. It stated we'd both get credits thanks for ordering etc. All was great, I took delivery and the next day I've got 10,000 credits and 6 months of supercharging. I checked with my friend and he got nothing. Called Tesla who said I didn't click the link which I did and I have a screen shot of the referral being added. I was then told the referral wouldn't apply to my friend as I already had purchased Tesla products in the past?

I've googled, trawled Tesla's website and I can't find a single thing anywhere that reflects if there are restrictions. If there are and I've missed it I'd appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction. Otherwise I feel another call to Tesla is in order as I feel they should give my friend his referral credit. Otherwise what's the point of using referrals if Tesla's are going to change the rules mid game.
@George75
Did your friend ever receive a notification (email) that his referral link was used at the time you placed the order, indicating 10k "pending" points?

The friend definitely did not because it wasn’t a new customer referral. Someone who has already purchased Tesla products is not an eligible referral.
Yeah, got that. I was wondering if they maybe first send out the pending points message, and then the points never become available to be used. Was thinking that because the OP got a message at ordering that the referral was used and that both got their credits .... If Tesla said both got their credits, then I can see them sending the pending points email, as the email is sent immediately.

Last edited:
@George75 Hi, may I know if you own a Tesla vehicle (have one in you Tesla account) when you made your recent purchase with your friend’s referral code, or if you sold it / transferred it before ordering the new car with the referral code? Thanks.

That wouldnt matter. Either you have never owned Tesla products in the past, and thus qualify for buyer credits, or you have owned Tesla products in the past, and qualify for referral credits.

============================

Note: To earn buyer benefits, you must purchase a qualifying Tesla product with a referral and have never owned a qualifying Tesla product in the past. To earn referral credits, you must own a qualifying Tesla product.

That wouldnt matter. Either you have never owned Tesla products in the past, and thus qualify for buyer credits, or you have owned Tesla products in the past, and qualify for referral credits.

============================

Note: To earn buyer benefits, you must purchase a qualifying Tesla product with a referral and have never owned a qualifying Tesla product in the past. To earn referral credits, you must own a qualifying Tesla product.
Ah I see, thanks! So for the loyalty points, I do not see any pending points in my account right now which kind of makes sense since my loyalty account was just “reactivated” after I made the order; however; will those points eventually post in my account after delivery date?

Ah I see, thanks! So for the loyalty points, I do not see any pending points in my account right now which kind of makes sense since my loyalty account was just “reactivated” after I made the order; however; will those points eventually post in my account after delivery date?

I would recommend reading through Teslas web page I linked and see what it says. Since you both had a previous tesla account and were a previous owner (thus not a new customer) and it sounds like you also had no products in your tesla account at all, its possible you end up with nothing.

I suggest looking through their FAQs and see what they say.

Reactions: carlhy