Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who needs a Super charger when you can have a GIGA charger! LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eprosenx: Very interesting regarding the 277 volt allowability.

One question: Since all large battery Teslas now have 48 ampere chargers only, are you implying that the 48 ampere charger in the model 3 is substantially different than the 48 ampere charger in the S/X? Why would Tesla have more than one model for the exact same functionality?

Of course, one thing I do not understand is why Tesla is constantly changing its mind. People who have bought an older HPWC are now incompatible with the load sharing arrangement of the new Models, as well as those who RECENTLY bought a 72 ampere charger (again, the customer having no choice as it was the only size available for their battery choice) now have no Tesla HPWC available to charge it at any more than 48 amperes.

The silly thing is, how much you want to bet that a high mileage, 500 mile range , Cybertruck owner who needs to drive hundreds of miles per day occasionally for work, and whose home is not on a supercharge route, will not be able to recharge in time with just a 48 ampere rate, and Tesla will be forced to change its mind again?

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
No indication of this charger (made in Buffalo, incidentally) uses 277 as there is nothing on the nameplate regarding that. It says the input is '480' with an allowable range of 360-528 volts, 50/60 HZ. Good for Europe or the States. Since this is not used in the home there'd be no reason for it, and other reasonably high power rectifiers rarely have the neutral connection, whether 208, 480, or 600 volts.

The old 40 ampere chargers can take a lower voltage (277 nominal maximum) only, and are single-phase only. Whereas this unit is obviously designed expressly for Supercharger service, and single-phase operation at a low or high voltage is unnecessary.

Whether internally this is a 3 phase, or like Porsche, a 6 phase unit; is unspecified, but the neutral isn't necessary in any case as the loading on the phases is balanced.

Forcing a job for a neutral is a bit silly, as its much less parts to just use the 3 phase input as-is and not use multiple single phase powered supplies. The only downside comparing this nameplate with a v1 nameplate is this unit cannot be used on 240 volts as the v1 models could have been. But then so few were that it surely wasn't a design constraint and hence 360 volts is the lowest operating voltage of this unit.

Electricians typically send 4 wires in the conduit, which is incidentally required here as one of the wires is needed for the equipment grounding conductor as plastic pipe is non-conductive. If you see 5 wires, then it is because they do it out of force of habit. I've seen many pieces of equipment where the neutral wire is uncommitted just because somebody thought they'd need it.

Rather like the Nema 14-50R (4 prong) in people's garages. The neutral is rarely used. Tesla gets most of the credit for 'standardizing' the 'Recreational Vehicle' connection - as at least half the other companies are using this as opposed to a 6-50R (3 prong).

So I am pretty positive the V1 and V2 superchargers are based off the same modules as in the S and X cars (two generations of them). And I am pretty sure that means they utilize the 277v power. I really don't think Tesla would spend money on a neutral conductor if it was not needed (given how very cost optimized they are). ;-)

I know the superchargers I have seen in person (not V3) also say they take 480v (but I am unsure if I have ever seen any V1 units, or if everything around here is V2, not actually sure how to tell).

How can the Porsche unit be 6 phase? Is that just two sets of three phase rectifiers for capacity and redundancy? I think the V1/V2 super chargers are 12x 277v modules, so four on each of the three phases (connected to neutral). Urban ones have 6x dedicated to each stall, long range ones can flip back and forth to either car?

I had no idea the original superchargers could be used on 240v btw! Fascenating, but makes sense. I think they realized any power company was going to want something as high draw as a supercharger to be distributed across the phases. ;-)

Eprosenx: Very interesting regarding the 277 volt allowability.

One question: Since all large battery Teslas now have 48 ampere chargers only, are you implying that the 48 ampere charger in the model 3 is substantially different than the 48 ampere charger in the S/X? Why would Tesla have more than one model for the exact same functionality?

Of course, one thing I do not understand is why Tesla is constantly changing its mind. People who have bought an older HPWC are now incompatible with the load sharing arrangement of the new Models, as well as those who RECENTLY bought a 72 ampere charger (again, the customer having no choice as it was the only size available for their battery choice) now have no Tesla HPWC available to charge it at any more than 48 amperes.

The silly thing is, how much you want to bet that a high mileage, 500 mile range , Cybertruck owner who needs to drive hundreds of miles per day occasionally for work, and whose home is not on a supercharge route, will not be able to recharge in time with just a 48 ampere rate, and Tesla will be forced to change its mind again?

Yes, the charger in the Model 3 was a completely new unit (next generation). I think a lot of it has to do with internationalization. In the Model three it is actually three 16a modules. They de-populate one of them for the shorter range cars (only 32a capable). Then having the three modules allows european cars to charge at 16a three phase. Some countries it is 230v phase to neutral for each of the three (400v phase to phase), and other countries it is 230v phase to phase I think in Europe. Then I think at least in the UK one of the modules can flip over to parallel with one of the other phases and the car can charge at 32a single phase I think if you only have a single phase mains connection.

Yeah, I am super frustrated that Tesla has stopped selling the OLD Wall Connector. I have friends that JUST bought new Wall Connectors before the switch. One of them planned to buy three more of them (and we pre-wired four 100a circuits in the house just for this). The one possible saving grace is that I think there is an RS-485 port on the new Wall Connector, so maybe they will release software that lets you pair the new one to the old ones and do some kind of sharing? Still though, 48a limited...

On the Cybertruck thing: I am right there with you. My assumption has been that it would have an 80a onboard charger since with a 500 mile battery and it uses a ton more per mile you are going to need some serious recharge capability if you want to turn around and do it the next day (think actual contractors). I would not be surprised in the slightest if we see another version of the new Wall Connector that has the WiFi and other improvements, but that can go up to a 100a circuit again (but of course they will sell it for $700 instead).

I totally understand though why the new Wall Connector is a good deal for Tesla. it is probably much less to manufacturer than the last gen one since the contactor can be a lower rating and more importantly, the wire is lower gauge and shorter. It is a slick solution for all new currently sold cars. Sucks for former owners... They should have kept selling the old ones for a while...

(also, I bet they have additional revenue opportunities with the new one - with WiFi, what stops Tesla from letting you install one and charge other Tesla owners for use using the same billing setup as Superchargers? - actually come to think of it, I wonder if my Wall Connector has a serial number embedded in it today - could Tesla just flip the switch and enable billing like that via a software update in all the cars?)

eprosenx:

If the incoming power goes through a transformer then 6 phases are easily generated. If you look at the schematic for the VW high power chargers, there are 6 wires going to the rectifier assembly, enabling a '12-pulse' rectifier (720HZ) ripple. (or if in europe: 600 HZ).

This is nothing new: Synchronous Converters from 115 years ago made 600 volts dc from a 6-phase, 460 volt input - the transformer was needed in any event to transform the 11 kv 3-phase input to the utilization voltage, to run the first street cars and subways.

In the case of a Synchronous Converter, the smallest machine possible was utilized with a 6-phase input, since 16% of the power went directly through the slip rings on the 'AC side' of the machine, and directly through to the commutator and brushes on the 600 volt DC side of the machine, not entering its magnetic circuit at all. These machines (typically 1500 kw) were very tiny (relatively speaking) rotary machines, and roughly 1/4 the price of the otherwise required 2500 hp Motor mechanically coupled to a 2500 hp Generator..

Yes, a rather special transformer was required (both Y and delta outputs - thereby 6 wires - which incidentally is where the 60 degree change in phase happens), but it was needed anyway to transform down the input 11 kv..

You probably don't realize it - but there is the same 60 degree phase shift when you charge an EV from a L2 charger when fed from a 120Y/208 volt system such as in front of restaurants, or the larger condos and apartments. The power going to the car is 60 degrees either leading or lagging from the 2 of the 3 cans supplying the 208 'single-phase', respectively. A 30 ampere charger draws 26+ or - J15 (From the leading or lagging can, respectively), and 3- 30 amp charger docking stations in a parking lot draw not 90, but 52 amperes from the 208 volt system, as the 86.6% leading and lagging power factors cancel between the 3 wallboxes.

As far as your 277 volt opinion, you are welcome to it. Doesn't make any sense to me, so lets agree to disagree. A single set of aluminum neutral conductors in a 20 foot long pipe is petty cash and no accountant would even see it compared to the cost of the rest of the job.

The 240 volt operation of the v1 sc's were mostly used for the portable SC hookup things where the serving power was 3-phase 240 volt Delta.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Smathew said :"....I never said the charger could handle 1000kW. ...." That's right... you said, "...The limit with v3 chargers is the size of the transformer. Even at locations without the transformer capacity to deliver 1000 kWh, charging won't be restricted".

CHIEF: 2 - 350 kva loads (again, what the nameplate plainly states) can easily run off a 750 kva pad transformer, which is what NYSEG supplied. 1000 kva wouldn't have helped much at all. Again, The branch circuit rating (and breaker tripping point) is the limitation. But your statements, are, no offense, nonsense since there is more to this simple circuit than a big green box.

Of course, given time, even a $12 10 va bell transformer for a door bell buzzer can deliver 1000 kwh.

But one thing that is ABSOUTELY INCORRECT is the thought that the power company's transformer limits anything....

You say you didn't say it - of course it is difficult for readers to determine which statements you say that we're supposed to remember and which other ones you deny when you are shown you don't have familiarity with this stuff.

Yawn,

No matter what the transformer size, you're not goin to experience charge speed limitations, UNLESS 3 model 3's show up at 5% SOC within 3 minutes of each other.

Reactions: Rocky_H