Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants to race in the Dallas area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy, all. Been a long time since I've been here but it's not without purpose.

I've recently taken the reigns of a premier drag racing facility, Texas Motorplex in Ennis, TX. The General Manager and I are both advocates (Houston customers know me as a former Tesla service manager) and would absolutely LOVE if we could see Dallas-Ft. Worth area owners come out and participate with their hot rods. We're open to anything from hosting Tesla owners on our Fast Friday events to developing a special, heads-up class for the various Model S trims, holding a bracket-racing how-to, or even offering up a Tesla-only event day. We're also keen on having destination chargers installed at the track (we are on US 287 right between Ennis and Waxahachie) to provide that service to our Tesla customers.

If anyone is interested please contact me at the track and we can discuss any array of possibilities. I can be reached at 972-878-2641 x114 or [email protected] or find me during one of our racing events.

Hope to hear from some of you soon!

I actually raced here about 5 years ago on a Fast Friday with my Leaf versus my wife's Volt (leaf was faster off the line the volt had he better quarter mile) and really had a great time (family came and brought their own standard cars to race).

Installing some charging stations would be very nice since Ennis is really a bit far away for most people in the metroplex (I say that, but I live in Midlothian, so its an easy drive). To attract more people I might suggest installing some standard J1772 plugs too to attract other plug-ins (but I am not going to complain if you also put in some tesla only chargers, HAHAH). I think with some J1772 stations you could easily have a "plug-in racing night" or something like that. Of course the Tesla people will dominate, but I would love to see a fiat 500e take on bmw i3 or a bmw i8 take on a tesla model s - it would be a wonderful way to showcase other plug-ins.

Another suggestions if you want to go this route is tying it to national plug-in week (its in September on a saturday) - either host the racing that friday or do it that Saturday evening (you could go to the DFW plug in event and pass out flyers to get more participation - this event usually gathers 100+ plug-ins.).

Reactions: TSchaefer
Anyone in north Dallas want to meet at Northstar dragway at 7:00PM this Friday the 21st? The drag strip is 1/8 mile and only 7 miles north of the Denton supercharger. Any car can race for $35. I've been a few times and it's a very well preped track. Lots of questions from people who have never put their eyes on a Tesla before. I've still never raced another Tesla on the strip. Would be nice to go head-to-head.

We might be interested in doing that sometime, but not this week. The location is especially attractive becasue of the close proximity to Denton.
Anyone in north Dallas want to meet at Northstar dragway at 7:00PM this Friday the 21st? The drag strip is 1/8 mile and only 7 miles north of the Denton supercharger. Any car can race for $35. I've been a few times and it's a very well preped track. Lots of questions from people who have never put their eyes on a Tesla before. I've still never raced another Tesla on the strip. Would be nice to go head-to-head.

Even if you guys don't go to a Tesla night, go to a regular test and tune (run what ya brung) night... You'll have a blast.

Things you'll learn

1. 'fast' cars aren't all that fast without good drivers (I. E. High power rwd manual transmission muscle cars rarely achieve what a magazine tester would)

2. Teslas, even a bog standard 60 or 70 will do very very well against most of the cars that show up

Most people are intimidated by the dragstrip because they assume it's nothing but super serious 11 second monsters out there but on a test and tune (open to anyone) night it's a wide variety and you'll do well and be right in the mix. If you have a 90d or 100d you'll be one of the fastest cars there. If you have a P??D you'll probably be the fastest car there.

Everyone should go. It's a blast.

Reactions: ACExpress
I agree with @sakimano, It seems intimidating that all these super fast street cars will be there aka fast and the furious style. When I went there, there was only one of these. Everyone else was just racing their vw jettas, ford rangers, etc. It was extremely fun. I was even able to bet people in my nissan leaf haha! It really is just plain fun.

FYI for those that go to Ennis track - the track requires you to have long pants and a shirt with sleeves (no tank tops - short sleeve tshirt is fine) if you race. I didn't know that and had to borrow some pants.

• Informative
Reactions: ACExpress