Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does my Model Y only charge at a max of 24 A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 32 A single phase wall charger at our house. When I plug in our Model Y RWD the maximum setting in the Tesla app for the charging rate appears to be 24 A. At first I thought this might be due to the fact the battery was already quite full (ie above 80%). The other day, the battery was at 49% and the app still had 24 A as a maximum. I've asked Tesla support about this but not heard back from them. Does anybody here know the answer to this question? Would be nice to charge at 32 A, especially when the sun is shining.

IMG_6423.PNG

When I plug in our Model Y RWD the maximum setting in the Tesla app for the charging rate appears to be 24 A
What circuit breaker did you assign during the Charger commisioning process.
If you want to use 32 A then you should assign a 40A circuit breaker

Interesting you have a 223V circuit voltage:
If like my 249V the power delivered would have been 624W more at 24A.

IMG_0833.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suspect your voltage is too low.
I agree that is a likely cause. When you first connect the car, it measures the no-load voltage. Then it starts to ramp up the charge. If it detects too much incremental voltage drop (poor connection or long cable or conductors too small...) then it limits the maximum current you can draw.

Presumably your Type 2 charge cable is also 32amps?

Upvote 0
Interesting. This is a new wall charger that was only recently installed. The charge cable is hard wired to the charger so I'm assuming it's rated to 32 A as the charger is rated to 32 A. The cable from the switchboard to the wall charger is about 10m but surely for a brand new install it should be capable of 32A. Does this mean I need to get my installers to come out and check this?

Upvote 0
This is a new wall charger that was only recently installed
You need to follow the commissioning procedure during which time the Circuit breaker amps is assigned. If you assign 40A - the Wall charger will deliver max 32A. Obviously your actual circuit breaker rating must be more than 32A... If you assigned 30A, then only 24A will be delivered.

What is your circuit breaker rating? - the one on the wall that your electrician installed for the charging circuit?.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 6.10.42 pm.png

Upvote 0
If you want to use 32 A then you should assign a 40A circuit breaker
You don't need to overspec breakers in Australia like they do in USA.

From the Gen3 wall connector installation manual:

1689235989295.png

I check the circuit breaker on our board and it's a 32 A circuit breaker.

Check with the sparky that they definitely installed the correct wiring to run continuous 32A over 10m
Then you can update the amp limit in the wall connector's web interface.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Quickst
Upvote 0
Huh, I'm not sure why they removed the "circuit breaker rating" page I screenshotted in reply #8 above.

Both the version I downloaded in February (which has that page) and the one I linked above claim to be Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual_AU_NZ.pdf revision 1.0 but the one on their website now doesn't say anything about circuit breakers.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion, I don't have the Tesla wall charger, I have the Solaredge charger.
I just wanted to confirm that the Model Y RWD can indeed take 32 A single phase.
I shall contact the installers to see if they can figure out why it's not providing 32 A.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion, I don't have the Tesla wall charger, I have the Solaredge charger.
I just wanted to confirm that the Model Y RWD can indeed take 32 A single phase.
I shall contact the installers to see if they can figure out why it's not providing 32 A.

According to this - the solaredge inverter chargers only provide 23a single phase 5kw (if its a SE5000H ) - https://www.solaredge.com/sites/def...erter_integrated_ev_charger_datasheet-aus.pdf

but the 'normal' solaredge ones should do 32a

Upvote 0