Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y never reaches its charging limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2023 model Y LR and Tesla wall charger. In The Tesla app I have set charging limit to 80% but the car stops charging at 79%. If I want to have 80% I need to set the charge limit to 81%. It only started happening recently in the past I was able to get full 80%.
Has nobody seen this issue?

Tom

It’s due to colder weather.
Exactly.

I doubt, it's not cold here yet and the car is in the garage all the time.
It is. My car does it starting every Fall through Spring. It is actually charged to 80%, but 1% is unavailable because of the battery temperature. (As @E90alex showed in the screen capture with the little blue sliver showing how much is unavailable.)

When it gets really cold that blue sliver can grow to 5 or more percent of unavailable SoC.

Upvote 0
The slide bar should go to 48a when not plugged in and drop to 24 once plugged in.

What device are you using to plug in the car?
I use the Tesla wall charger. It's always plugged in while in the garage .. I hate to see it at 48a given my electrical wiring is not up for that. I used the kw from previous charge to
calculate my REAL mpg equiv since the app is useless with its gas prices etc.

Upvote 0
I use the Tesla wall charger. It's always plugged in while in the garage .. I hate to see it at 48a given my electrical wiring is not up for that. I used the kw from previous charge to
calculate my REAL mpg equiv since the app is useless with its gas prices etc.
Has it ever worked? The wall connector needs to be told that is is on a 30a breaker during setup. For some silly reason they defaulted to 60a.

Upvote 0
A little trick if you really want to charge precisely to a specific SOC is charge to 3-4 percentage points below it, stop charging for a few hours, and then continue to your target.

The pause gives the BMS time to recalibrate, particularly if your target SOC is 90+%, and on my car it'll hit the target much more precisely afterwards.

You can automate this process w/ iOS shortcuts or other Tesla automation tools.

None of this really matters for any real purpose though.

Upvote 0
Tesla wall charger .. it seems my WIFI wasn't great in the garage so the wall unit would frequently go off-line. Never had any trouble charging tho. How many kw added last charging session is working fine again. That too may have been a victim of weak WIFI which I have since improved.

Upvote 0
its not the app lol. its the battery and chemistry of how batteries work. The car can only "gestimate" the true percentage of the state of charge. As it charges and charging stops after it has sat there its "settles" and can sometimes go up sometime go down sometimes of which by 4-5%. it happens over time if you dont let the battery drain all the way down sit at a low state and then charge to 100 and leave it to top balance. Its called calibrating the battery
This is the best explanation. Been discussed many times in other threads. Also if you let the battery drain to a low percentage, or charge to a high percentage, the car must sit at that state of charge undisturbed (exit the app and turn off sentry, etc.) for a few hour so it sleeps. It recalibrates while it sleeps. That's how it was explained to me. BTW, this happens during the summer too, not just with a cold battery. Mostly will happen to those attempting overall battery life preservation by keeping low SOC and driving immediately after charging, so car doesn't sit at high SOC. Basically the car has no high and low SOC data or sleep time as such, to calibrate from. Not harmful to battery but can be a bit inconvenient

Upvote 0
I have 2023 model Y LR and Tesla wall charger. In The Tesla app I have set charging limit to 80% but the car stops charging at 79%. If I want to have 80% I need to set the charge limit to 81%. It only started happening recently in the past I was able to get full 80%.
Has nobody seen this issue?

Tom
I have the same issue but no wall charger, just a 240v outlet. MY seems much more accurate than my '19 M3 was. That would go under or over the limit by 3-5% sometimes.

Upvote 0