Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I can not see in the monitor the car beyond me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Tesla so far but there are always room for improvement. This one seems to be like a great and safe feature but it is not there. On my monitor, I can see the cars on the side, on the front but not on the back. It would be great if I could see the car on the back of me especially next to my line. Currently I can see them when it is already to late to merge to the other line. Anyone knows why this is not a feature?

I think you're missing the OP's point (or I am). It is easy to see any of the cars around you without using the representation on the screen. The representation on the screen is really just a cool thing - not really useful. But for some reason a representation of car(s) behind isn't shown. I've wondered why myself.

Oh, the OP is referring to the animations. Those are completely unsafe to use as a guide for when it is safe to change lanes. The animations are often delayed or completely wrong, with missing vehicles or extra vehicles. Also, in the event that the animations WERE accurate, the car behind you has no relevance to your decision to make a safe lane changes.

Reactions: afadeev
If I recall correctly, you can see the car behind you on the visualization if it's close enough, which typically means at a stop light or similar situation. The fundamental reason is the visualization is rendered in perspective, as though the rendering "camera" were above and behind your car and looking predominantly forward. So a car behind you at a safe following distance is simply out of the rendering's field of view. Sure, the rendering "camera" could take a different field of view by zooming out or looking a bit more downward, but the trade-off would be some loss of valuable detail in the forward stuff, which is more relevant.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Completely agree with OP - would love a wider default display of cars immediately behind me. Yes cars in the blind spots are shown, but cars that are not in the blind spot but still too close to merge in front of are not shown. You can see them if you tilt the view, but not by default. I'm not suggesting replacing checking mirrors or looking over your shoulder, but more information is generally better.

Oh, the OP is referring to the animations. Those are completely unsafe to use as a guide for when it is safe to change lanes. The animations are often delayed or completely wrong, with missing vehicles or extra vehicles. Also, in the event that the animations WERE accurate, the car behind you has no relevance to your decision to make a safe lane changes.

Very true. I don't think Tesla realizes that the very poor accuracy of the animations makes people lose confidence that the car can ever successfully drive itself since it can't see what's around it accurately.

I'm thinking, when I drive I look forward, so I already see what is around me, I check occasionally the read mirror and only the left and right when I need to pass others. The blind spot is what concerns me (I know I can adjust the mirrors for the blind spot) but it would be cool to see quickly on the screen that there is another car approaching on my left side from far away. Since I'm new with my Tesla, would it warn me if there is someone approaching on the left side that I did not see from the mirrors?
P.S. Thank you all for the replies.

I suspect that it's got a lot to do with the HW2.5-based code that the system is running currently. From what I have read, HW2.5's code mainly gets timely updates from the sonar, radar, and front-facing cameras. The other cameras' data come in at lower refresh rates, and the computer parses each feed individually before "stitching" together a complete picture. The rear camera seems to not be included in this picture, or to be at the lowest priority, possibly due to having to deal with the higher resolution, different color response, and fisheye lens.

Contrast this with how the HW3 code is purported to run, wherein it (supposedly) watches all of the camera feeds holistically. I would be completely unsurprised if the first post-rewrite release is more likely to show cars directly aster on the MFD.

On my monitor, I can see the cars on the side, on the front but not on the back. It would be great if I could see the car on the back of me especially next to my line.

You do know that you are allowed to use rear and side-view mirrors, right?
:D

The screen is just an infotainment device.
The less you look at it, the more focused you are on the road, the safer you are!

You can always have your rear camera on all the time if you really want to see the car behind you.

I find that to be exceptionally distracting and annoying.
Plus, it trains you to focus your eyes on the screen and away from the road/front windshield, which can become a dangerous habit.