Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Dual Motor option still “mid 2018”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think basically every Canadian who reserved a model 3 had an automatic “late 2018” delivery date populated on their mytesla account originally. A few months ago, that changed for some (maybe all?) to allow for a mid 2018 date for both first production AND dual motor options. My question is why Tesla would make that change despite knowing full well that they don’t plan to start making the dual motor variant until July, and that the US tax credit will also begin its phase out at that same time? I agree with most people here who think there will be near zero deliveries in Canada once the US phase out starts, but I’m just trying to be optimistic. Any thoughts about why they would bump up dual motor delivery dates to mid 2018 despite having no intention to deliver them here until late 2018 or early 2019? Why not keep the original estimate for dual motors as is? Doesn’t bumping up the dual motor option lead to more people waiting for it? In my case, if I knew for sure dual motors were not available until early 2019, I’d pull the trigger and purchase a first production car.