Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 RWD 1000 mile update from previous Model 3 owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings. I haven't been around in a while since I sold my 2018 dual motor. Somewhat unexpectedly, I bought a base RWD last week. In no particular order, here's a quick 1000 mile update.

Delivery at Tesla center: no exaggeration, I was in there for 2 minutes, maybe less. Walked in to the check in desk, stated my name. Rep says oh you haven't paid. I handed him the certified check. A few keystrokes on his computer and he asked me to verify that I have access to the car in the app and I did. Says congrats the car is yours and is parked up front. Scratched my head a bit (like where's the key card) but I walked over to my car anyway. Whipped out my phone by the car and phone as key just paired and started working while I stood outside. They have this thing down to a science. IIRC when I picked up the 2018, I had to be inside the car and have the key card to setup my phone as key.

Improvements over the 2018: the 2018 had many little things that bugged me to no end, and some big ones. I hesitated to buy another because of it. After a week and 1000 miles, I'm happy to report that they're largely resolved. Ride quality is much improved, more supple and well damped. Noise is greatly improved as well. Interior is a massive improvement, even though the lower part of the door is no longer injection molded soft touch. Couple of little ones remain - the auto wipers and auto headlights.

Range and efficiency: this "standard range" with 272 miles gets me more actual range than my 2018 dual motor did. The 2018 which was rated for 310 miles, I couldn't get 270 miles out of it since day 1. In the 2023 RWD, my 1000 miles average so far is 198Wh/mile. I'll post the graph of a 120 mile round trip I took earlier today. 2/3 of the drive was 45-55MPH zones, the other 1/3 on the highway with 65MPH with sections of steep climbs. I was mostly going 5MPH over. Started with 100% charge, got home with 57% left after 131 miles on the charge. Super impressed with its efficiency. I lurked and read through all 57 pages of the thread discussing the LFP battery before I committed to the purchase. I will be charging this car to 100% daily.

Handling: I haven't been in a sporty sedan since the 2018 dual motor, so this could just be in my head, but the 2023 RWD seems more nimble and fun to toss around, despite the much much slower 0-60 feel, particularly from a stop. It seems full power doesn't come on until 20-30MPH, seems to pull harder there than from a stop. I'm happy with the power. But if I have another powerful EV for when I have an urge for a serious kick in the rear.

Very glad to be back in the club. I've been through couple other EVs and PHEVs since. Tesla's software and app are far far ahead of everything else out there.

Straight from picking up, I applied two coats of CarPro CQuarts UK 3.0 and one coat of Gliss. First drive after curing I went to charge at Electrify America 🤣 I have 3 years free from my other car 😁 I was eager to test the CCS adapter.

M31.JPG

The 120 mile round trip graphs from earlier today. First is the way out, second is the return trip.
M32.JPG

M33.JPG

Thanks for a great post. Glad you're enjoying it. How is the audio system in the new one compared to the old one? Is the difference noticeable?
Oh yes, quite noticeable. The RWD doesn't have the pillar speakers or the subwoofer, so it not going to thump like the AWD and Performance cars with the full premium audio. I test drove a long range Model Y couple of days after I took delivery of the 3. It was very noticeable hopping back into my RWD 3, but if I crank it up it's passable. It's when listening at a lower volume it doesn't have the punch of the full premium system. I actually contemplated selling my other EV and buying the Y, but will sleep on it for now. Took the Y on a 40 mile drive and it averaged 219Wh/mile. Impressive.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
Oh yes, quite noticeable. The RWD doesn't have the pillar speakers or the subwoofer, so it not going to thump like the AWD and Performance cars with the full premium audio. I test drove a long range Model Y couple of days after I took delivery of the 3. It was very noticeable hopping back into my RWD 3, but if I crank it up it's passable. It's when listening at a lower volume it doesn't have the punch of the full premium system. I actually contemplated selling my other EV and buying the Y, but will sleep on it for now. Took the Y on a 40 mile drive and it averaged 219Wh/mile. Impressive.

I have to grandma drive my MYP to be remotely close to 260 wh/mile with climate off .
Under normal circumstances, 330 to 360 ( 50/50 highway city streets driving )

I have to grandma drive my MYP to be remotely close to 260 wh/mile with climate off .
Drove normally, not exactly in a hyper-miling manner. The current drive was the whole drive. Trip A was reset when I got on the highway 65MPH limit, and it was pouring rain. Climate set to 68 auto.

Y.JPG

Handling: I haven't been in a sporty sedan since the 2018 dual motor, so this could just be in my head, but the 2023 RWD seems more nimble and fun to toss around, despite the much much slower 0-60 feel, particularly from a stop. It seems full power doesn't come on until 20-30MPH, seems to pull harder there than from a stop. I'm happy with the power. But if I have another powerful EV for when I have an urge for a serious kick in the rear.
I don’t remember where I saw this but if I am remembering it correctly someone tested quarter mile times of M3 rwd and M3 LR. Surprisingly he found out RWD is faster from 30-70 compared to LR.

If you floor it, it clearly accelerates rather calmly until ~20MPH and then darts. I don’t know if it is related to gearing, for reducing the wear on a single motor, or if the car is traction limited, but I think there is some type of software limit on low speeds.

I don’t remember where I saw this but if I am remembering it correctly someone tested quarter mile times of M3 rwd and M3 LR. Surprisingly he found out RWD is faster from 30-70 compared to LR.

If you floor it, it clearly accelerates rather calmly until ~20MPH and then darts. I don’t know if it is related to gearing, for reducing the wear on a single motor, or if the car is traction limited, but I think there is some type of software limit on low speeds.
My bad it was 2021 SR+ versus current RWD. However, my point still partially stands since 2021 has a 0-60 of 5.3s vs 5.8 for 2022/23 RWD.

Reactions: XPsionic and solar3
We have this vehicle, PUed January. We love it.
We also have a MYP and they are so different in comparison we don’t. M3RWD, has the throw back feel of oversteer and fun. MY is utility.
Glad we have both for they satisfy different parts of the brain.

Got a real good feel of how nimble this car is this morning when I swerved hard to avoid running over a chipmunk. It just darted half way across and stopped right where my left tire track was. 1500 miles now and my average remains 198Wh/mile. Went 150 miles on 50% charge from my last full charge. Very pleased. I might attempt a 100-10% on a single drive and see how linear it discharges down to the bottom. I have not taken it below 20% yet.
My bad it was 2021 SR+ versus current RWD. However, my point still partially stands since 2021 has a 0-60 of 5.3s vs 5.8 for 2022/23 RWD.

I have zero complaint with the RWD's passing power once at speed. I have not done a "launch" from a stop, like I frequently did when I had the dual motor. I'm all about efficiency now, and want to get maximum miles out of the tires. IIRC I replaced the tires on the dual motor at 35K miles.

Reactions: Michael24
Hahahahaha I have a MYP, 260 wh/m is a dream that will never happen! I think they the range is actually better than advertised I read it should get 100 miles per 28 kw/h I constantly get 108-120 and I floor it constantly. I didn't get the P model to be efficient. My lifetime of 2600 miles over almost 4 months is 272 wh/m.

I have MYP for published range of 303 miles
This is 100% use of rhe battery, driving in zero humidity, no wind completely flat road

Reality, top 5 and bottom 5 percent of a lithium ion battery are not to be used, therefore 0.9 x of 303 is 279 miles

No rapid acceleration and no very high speeds
Cannot use the radio or climate control that can potentially use rhe battery and take away range

As with my M3RWD and this MYP, I am definitely achieving the ranges in-line with the published amount modified by real use and road conditions

It’s been almost 8 months using EVs and it’s completely natural and never had any range anxiety
We are very happy we converted from ICE

Hahahahaha I have a MYP, 260 wh/m is a dream that will never happen! I think they the range is actually better than advertised I read it should get 100 miles per 28 kw/h I constantly get 108-120 and I floor it constantly. I didn't get the P model to be efficient. My lifetime of 2600 miles over almost 4 months is 272 wh/m.

My recent road trip of 3500 miles averaged 316 w/mile,
i was as low as 60 w/ mile tho - going downhill in Tennessee :D

• Funny
Reactions: DocHolliday
i use to felt the same about 2018 Tesla model 3, however after driving for several years, i came to realize that the handling, and sporty response was not so ad becuase of the car, but becuase that was due to the low quality tires it had. so i went out and search for high performance tires, and after replacing them the handling, brakes, even a energy consumption improves by a great margin. i would say if you find the same thing with this new 23 tesla model 3, you should also look into replacing tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use to felt the same about 2018 Tesla model 3, however after driving for several years, i came to realize that the handling, and sporty response was not so ad becuase of the car, but becuase that was due to the low quality tires it had. so i went out and search for high performance tires, and after replacing them the handling, brakes, even a energy consumption improves by a great margin. i would say if you find the same thing with this new 23 tesla model 3, you should also look into replacing tires.

The biggest issue is lack of feedback in steering, it doesn't communicate what the front wheels are doing at all. I wonder if there is a after market fix for this.

Reactions: mgs333 and XPsionic
This is just fantastic to hear. I bought my brand new M3 rwd sight unseen 16 days ago and every day? No kidding,I love it even more! I’m still confused on some minor things like why won’t the footwell lights come on(?.?lol) they’re wired I checked. Also I hear that there are extra speakers in the 23 rwd but I have to install a wire loom to activate them?

I’m a newb! But thank u for your post,I’m really glad to continue reading incredibly positive reviews about my new baby! Thanks

Greetings. I haven't been around in a while since I sold my 2018 dual motor. Somewhat unexpectedly, I bought a base RWD last week. In no particular order, here's a quick 1000 mile update.

Delivery at Tesla center: no exaggeration, I was in there for 2 minutes, maybe less. Walked in to the check in desk, stated my name. Rep says oh you haven't paid. I handed him the certified check. A few keystrokes on his computer and he asked me to verify that I have access to the car in the app and I did. Says congrats the car is yours and is parked up front. Scratched my head a bit (like where's the key card) but I walked over to my car anyway. Whipped out my phone by the car and phone as key just paired and started working while I stood outside. They have this thing down to a science. IIRC when I picked up the 2018, I had to be inside the car and have the key card to setup my phone as key.

Improvements over the 2018: the 2018 had many little things that bugged me to no end, and some big ones. I hesitated to buy another because of it. After a week and 1000 miles, I'm happy to report that they're largely resolved. Ride quality is much improved, more supple and well damped. Noise is greatly improved as well. Interior is a massive improvement, even though the lower part of the door is no longer injection molded soft touch. Couple of little ones remain - the auto wipers and auto headlights.

Range and efficiency: this "standard range" with 272 miles gets me more actual range than my 2018 dual motor did. The 2018 which was rated for 310 miles, I couldn't get 270 miles out of it since day 1. In the 2023 RWD, my 1000 miles average so far is 198Wh/mile. I'll post the graph of a 120 mile round trip I took earlier today. 2/3 of the drive was 45-55MPH zones, the other 1/3 on the highway with 65MPH with sections of steep climbs. I was mostly going 5MPH over. Started with 100% charge, got home with 57% left after 131 miles on the charge. Super impressed with its efficiency. I lurked and read through all 57 pages of the thread discussing the LFP battery before I committed to the purchase. I will be charging this car to 100% daily.

Very glad to be back in the club. I've been through couple other EVs and PHEVs since. Tesla's software and app are far far ahead of everything else out there.

Straight from picking up, I applied two coats of CarPro CQuarts UK 3.0 and one coat of Gliss. First drive after curing I went to charge at Electrify America 🤣 I have 3 years free from my other car 😁 I was eager to test the CCS adapter.

View attachment 950296

The 120 mile round trip graphs from earlier today. First is the way out, second is the return trip.
View attachment 950297

View attachment 950298
Solar3,
Question about your ceramic execution:

2x coats of cquartz
1x assuming top coat of Gliss
Not a cheap guy here, but cquartz is expensive and Gliss used on the entire vehicle is very expensive.

How is your satisfaction with both products?
How long do you think they will hold up before reapplication?
Explain reapplication, assume it’s worn off and just start to apply again?
How long to cure between coats?
What soap do you used for washing while these three ceramic coats are on?

Sorry about the number of questions

Attachments

• IMG_7485.jpeg
    IMG_7485.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 77
A lot of people say the RWD base is the most fun to drive of all the M3’s. It’s often the case that the lightest and least powerful model in the line up is the most fun to drive in the range of a car or motorbike offering. (Especially so with dirt bikes)

I’ve read the motor has been designed for maximum efficiency and durability (to do one million miles lol) with the side effect of reduced output at low rpm. It makes peak power at 5800rpm, which with the one gear isn’t until about 40 mph in the M3, so it might be for purely mechanical reasons that it is slow off the mark.

I have a RWD MY with the same motor and due to bigger wheels it doesn’t hit peak output until about 45 mph, so quite slow off the mark with the extra weight, but you get used to it.

Do you want to charge to 100% every day so you have heaps of daily range at your disposal?

I haven’t read that LFP battery thread (but might now lol) but I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that the LFP battery is happiest at a lower SOC and that charging to 100% is just for calibration not particularly for battery health, but overall it probably doesn’t matter because the battery will calendar age at a fairly linear rate no matter how you treat it. I just randomly charge mine to all kinds of % depending on time constraints (I share a charger with other Teslas at my work) I probably only get to 100% once a month on average, but I’m pretty relaxed about that.

Heaps of folks have said M3 RWD is the most fun to drive incidentally.

Reactions: brianbcc