Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is it so hard to get a service appointment now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previously, if I needed an appointment I just called the service center. Now, there is no way to get an actual person and it says use the app or go online. If I use the app, I can't get an appointment for 2 weeks and I need to get in sooner because it's a steering issue. If I go online and try to chat with someone, I go into chat limbo where nothing happens. It's so frustrating....

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
because Service is supposed to make money and be profitable. So they are booking everything, then go to appointment and find 50% of the time part needs ordering and them calling back when part comes in is <10% likelihood. Then you make another apointment to go in and have both your cars serviced since they were in on July 2 and both cars needed parts for ordering. Basically F2F is the only way to get things done there right now. Until Elon steps away from service and hires someone who understands supply chain service parts and tool time on production equipment.

Not a busy city and I'll bet I could get an appointment next week - I just can't actually talk to a person. The appointment offered on the app was a mobile service tech. What if I needed to get a loaner? How do ask someone about that?
hmmm, ok, I see. I usually get a call back within about 24 hours when I call the local service center to ask about something. Maybe this is just a regional thing. I don't know. Have you tried actually calling the service center? Also when I needed a checkup on something by using the app, they called later that day.

hmmm, ok, I see. I usually get a call back within about 24 hours when I call the local service center to ask about something. Maybe this is just a regional thing. I don't know. Have you tried actually calling the service center? Also when I needed a checkup on something by using the app, they called later that day.

I don't think I was clear. If I call the service center directly I get a recording that says use the app or go online. No matter how many times I mash the 0 key I can't get an actual person. I'm going to call sales tomorrow and see if they can transfer me. Silly but might work.

I don't think I was clear. If I call the service center directly I get a recording that says use the app or go online. No matter how many times I mash the 0 key I can't get an actual person. I'm going to call sales tomorrow and see if they can transfer me. Silly but might work.
I understood you. I should have said that when I call Tesla service here in Reno, I get a live person on the phone. Yes, I know you are not here. Just saying what is going on here. Maybe your area is different. There certainly isn't always consistency on this topic. :)

Reactions: Soundchasr
One would think that things would be less hectic once they reduced maintenance needs and charge $195 diagnostic fee that would get waived for warranty issues. I guess the Model 3 population is making a big impact. I see them in high concentrations in various places.

Tesla is facing a challenge no other auto manufacturer has gone through due to the rapid increase in new customers due to the Model 3.

When it was just S and X, at lower volumes, Tesla provided a lot of hands on customer support - which doesn't scale well when there's a rapid increase in new vehicles delivered.

Tesla is transitioning to a new customer support and service model that should scale better:
  • Shifting most customer support to the website and smartphone apps, reducing use of less efficient call support
  • Eliminating the unnecessary recommended maintenance, reducing the amount of service needed for each new vehicle
  • Increasing use of mobile service vans that can perform about 80% of the service needs and can be expanded more rapidly than increasing service center capacity and eliminates the need for customer temporary transportation by having service come to the customer
  • Moving away from loaners to Uber vouchers, eliminating the cost overhead of maintaining a fleet of loaners and the limitations due to a lack of loaners to provide to customers
At least initially, Tesla provided service as a cost-neutral offering - which is considerably different from the other manufacturers who have dealers that generate much of their revenue through the increased service required for ICEs. If Tesla is successful in their transition to a more efficient service model, it will be interesting to see how the other manufacturers respond - since it will be more difficult for them to match what Tesla has done.

Another factor is the pressure on Tesla to meet delivery goals each quarter - which puts strain on Tesla's customer support & service as resources are temporarily moved to perform deliveries. Musk wanted to take the company private to eliminate this quarterly grind; unfortunately that didn't work out - and we'll likely see decreased customer support/service availability at the end of each quarter until Tesla has fully adjusted to the increased delivery rate.

• Disagree
Reactions: darxsys
"Tesla is facing a challenge no other auto manufacturer has gone through due to the rapid increase in new customers due to the Model 3."

IOW, they did it azz-backwards...rolled out product without adequate support infrasturcture.

"Shifting most customer support to the website and smartphone apps, reducing use of less efficient call support"

Great, except when you need to talk to someone, then it's a total failure to communicate, leaving the customer completely frustrated. Sometimes there is no "app" for things.

Moving away from loaners to Uber vouchers, eliminating the cost overhead of maintaining a fleet of loaners and the limitations due to a lack of loaners to provide to customers

I don’t think Uber is going to cut it. People who pay for a premium car are also paying for and expecting premium service. Buy a $100K BWM, Mercedes, Porsche, or even a GM Cadillac or Corvette. You will not put up with being stuffed into an Uber or a Taxi, and might just tell the car company to stuff it!!

Pro-Tip: when you call the service center and get dumped to automated system, follow the first prompt to service (2). On the following menu, select the prompt for "information on your car in for service..." (3?). This should get you sent to the actual service center's front desk.

Now a handy flowchart for what might happen next!

How maybe to talk to a person at your service center 2.jpg

Pro-Tip: when you call the service center and get dumped to automated system, follow the first prompt to service (2). On the following menu, select the prompt for "information on your car in for service..." (3?). This should get you sent to the actual service center's front desk.

View attachment 430595

That's how I finally got a person!

That's how I finally got a person!

View attachment 430595

That's good to know. I got frustrated with the endless loop of rerouting on the phone a few months ago. I went from my local SvC where no one answered to a series of menu options and ended up talking to someone in Fremont, Ca who then tried to forward me back to my local SvC...it was needlessly frustrating. I decided I will just drop in from now on since the SvC is literally less than 1.5 mi from my house...I can run there in less than 15 minutes.

I assume the frustration we're having is due to the reduced labor force Tesla is trying as a cost-cutting/streamline approach, the increase in cars added to the population (M3 is selling like crazy), and the poor quality delivered when they were trying to churn out to meet their projections.

Sharing in everyone's frustrations. Back when I bought my first Model S in 2015, it was easy to call local service center directly. Not the case now! I recently took delivery of performance Raven Model S and am having problems with autopilot calibration. Ended up driving to local service center twice in last week to talk to someone and troubleshoot. Luckily, I live only a couple of miles away from service center. Today, I tried the phone tree trick of selecting "3" as mentioned above. It worked. Got me to local service center.

Tesla's automated phone service happily suggests we go to tesla/support and chat with an expert to have questions addressed. That's a joke. Most times I've tried that page, chat isn't live. Today I couldn't even find the inactive chat option.

Hopefully, Tesla will mature on the service side of business. The cool cars have attracted us to join the family. It should be stellar service that helps keep us in the family!

Reactions: Soundchasr