Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is open discussion of street racing tolerated here?

Should street racing talk be more heavily moderated?

• The current policy and enforcement level is sufficient.

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • More moderation is needed for discussion of street racing.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the old Wild West days of car forums (15 years ago, yeah I’m old), sites used to have “kills” section where users would openly discuss street racing (Rx7club comes to mind, back when I got on there in 2005). Gradually those sections were shut down or heavily moderated to include only non street racing discussion. The same goes with the general vehicle sections in other car forums, where eventually such talk was moderated heavily.

Is there a reason why open discussion is tolerated here? Here is such a thread where users are talking about highly illegal and dangerous driving. Does the S have more "pull" at higher speeds?

Lot’s of discussion in Model 3 sections about the Performance models, the power boost, how it compares to other cars, etc are street racing oriented.

To me, Tesla’s are already fast, and we don’t need to be giving people ideas. This site needs to clamp down. It’s bad for the community and could have long term consequences if somebody gets hurt. Anyone who street races should keep it to themselves, not blatantly discuss it here. If enough people do enough dumb stuff, Tesla could be forced by regulators to restrict the vehicles by software.

If there were a significant number of posts here condoning or encouraging street racing (as opposed to racing on a drag strip, circuit course, etc.) I would probably share your concern. But to be frank I've been here since 2015 and I don't see anything like that. I specifically read the thread you linked to, and I didn't see anything that I would interpret as promoting street racing (or other illegal activities). Really the only competition I'm aware of on TMC is the "Most Superchargers Visited" contest, which has nothing to do whatsoever with speed or racing.

I don't consider myself a "car guy", and this is really the first and only car-related forum where I've spent any significant amount of time. Clearly I don't have your experience across a range of car forums. I'd like to believe that Teslas attract a more diverse set of owners, beyond the "let's go fast and smoke anybody who drives a different car from us" types.

Bruce.

To me, Tesla’s are already fast, and we don’t need to be giving people ideas. This site needs to clamp down. It’s bad for the community and could have long term consequences if somebody gets hurt. Anyone who street races should keep it to themselves, not blatantly discuss it here. If enough people do enough dumb stuff, Tesla could be forced by regulators to restrict the vehicles by software.

pffff..... You really think a car company has the right to shut down street racing.

Vehicle deaths have been drastically declining per capita over the last 100 years. Go ahead and try to regulate vehicles if you must. But it's not going to stop people from dragging their ICE vehicles on the streets.

If Tesla plans on regulating their performance vehicles that's the day I am no longer owning one. I am not condoning street racing but will not be treated like an animal. It would drastically hurt the performance sector for Tesla.

The world is bigger than the USA. Many of us in Europe love to take our cars to Germany where we can drive freely. Second, there is no law that I am aware of against insane torque. Only speed limits and reckless driving. I don’t condone street racing or dangerous driving, however I love having a performance EV and enjoying it to it’s full extent where legal. And yes, it is insanely fun to launch onto an autobahn on-ramp and smoke ICE vehicles (perfectly legal). It’s also fantastic that we have a place like these forums to discuss mods and performance upgrades to further our love for such great vehicles.

. Here's is what I recently learned:

-The P100D decimated my buddies stock beautiful C6 Z06 from a stop, so he wanted to see the difference from a roll. Probably because his car doesn't seem hook up in first gear at all, in spite of having PS2 tires.

-On a 3 honk highway pull from 50mph, the P100D (70% SOC) was able pull away from the Z06 Corvette and really seemed to lengthen the lead at his shift points. This surprised both of us, as we assumed the aerodynamics of the Vette would take over but that really wasn't the case..

From the thread I linked. It’s blatant discussion of street racing.

I know of someone that has been riding performance motorcycles on the street since 1978. This person often commutes to and from work and run errands on mentioned motorcycles and rarely when the motorcycle is out does this person not exceed at least 100 mph at some point. During these thousands of times out on the street, over decades, has this person been in an accident or been ticketed - not once. Is this person dangerous? Empirically speaking no. That said, this person could be killed on the next motorcycle ride whether at 30 mph or in excess of 170 mph - the limit of the current machine. I don't think it is my business to regulate this persons speech or actions.
With the current crop of techno Teslas, they could be Geo-Fenced to speeds and acceleration that is suitable to the most ardent "Safety Sally" for street activities. Geo-Fencing could also be layered where on the track a novice would only be able to access 35%, 55% or 100% of the capability of the car - yet there are those who think this would offer too much freedom - for the driver's own sake.
For me, I think, that un-named someone I mentioned above has the freedom to do what he wants as long as he exercises the other side of the freedom coin: Personal Responsibility.
For me, I don't want to be limited by how others think I should live.
Freedom should be promoted with the strongest emphasis on what is often forgotten, Personal Responsibility.
Happy New Year to all!