Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Racing / Essex road front BBK - first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased and installed the following kit on my 2018 model 3 LR AWD

Prior to this I already had upgraded pads and the MPP master cylinder brace and stainless steel brake lines.

To start with the shipping was well done, as most of us know transit is hard these days so lots of boxes and ample peanuts kept everything safe. The kit arrives in two boxes one for the left the other for the right, this is nice in that if you open + install them one at a time you have zero chance of mixing anything up.
Unboxing you will also find usable printed docs so you have the choice of using them or the online instructions.

bbk_openbox.jpg

bbk_caliper.jpg

Installation​

The install was straight forward, all the hardware is included and even some red loctite for the caliper bracket.
Honestly installing the anti-rattle clip seemed like the hardest part, they are extremely tight to the point I kept assuming I was doing something wrong. I did have to purchase a 10mm hex/allen socket for the new caliper bolts.

I replaced my MPP brake lines with the included Spiegler pair although I am not sure that was necessary, they are the same length with the biggest difference being they don't include brackets and since I had already thrown my factory lines away this leaves me with a small future project to find or fabricate a way to attach them to the knuckle.

Initial driving impressions​

The pedal travel feels longer, maybe, not sure, I will re-bleed soon and report back.
So far this kit with the Ferodo DS2500 pads has not made any noise which is amazing as my previous pads would squeal with light pressure which happens every morning in my neighborhood.
I have only done the first phase of bedding and some spirited driving where braking is great but the real test will come on my first track day which unfortunately is not until the next Tesla Corsa in September.

On a recent long road trip with the new kit I did not notice any degradation of efficiency.

Miscellaneous​

The calipers are huge, I understand now why Essex was so adamant about using their template.
Good news is they do fit behind the factory 19" sport wheels, barely!

bbk_19wheel.jpg

Here is the view with my 20" street setup
bbk_20wheel.jpg

Weights​

380x36mm J hook rotor was about 28.4 lbs vs factory 21.1 using an old bathroom scale

Overall I am really happy with my purchase! Let me know if I missed anything you want to know about.
I will follow up with more impressions once I bed them in properly and use them where they are needed.

Last edited:
I recently purchased and installed the following kit on my 2018 model 3 LR AWD

Prior to this I already had upgraded pads and the MPP master cylinder brace and stainless steel brake lines.

To start with the shipping was well done, as most of us know transit is hard these days so lots of boxes and ample peanuts kept everything safe. The kit arrives in two boxes one for the left the other for the right, this is nice in that if you open + install them one at a time you have zero chance of mixing anything up.
Unboxing you will also find usable printed docs so you have the choice of using them or the online instructions.

View attachment 946218

View attachment 946219

Installation​

The install was straight forward, all the hardware is included and even some red loctite for the caliper bracket.
Honestly installing the anti-rattle clip seemed like the hardest part, they are extremely tight to the point I kept assuming I was doing something wrong. I did have to purchase a 10mm hex/allen socket for the new caliper bolts.

I replaced my MPP brake lines with the included Spiegler pair although I am not sure that was necessary, they are the same length with the biggest difference being they don't include brackets and since I had already thrown my factory lines away this leaves me with a small future project to find or fabricate a way to attach them to the knuckle.

Initial driving impressions​

The pedal travel feels longer, maybe, not sure, I will re-bleed soon and report back.
So far this kit with the Ferodo DS2500 pads has not made any noise which is amazing as my previous pads would squeal with light pressure which happens every morning in my neighborhood.
I have only done the first phase of bedding and some spirited driving where braking is great but the real test will come on my first track day which unfortunately is not until the next Tesla Corsa in September.

On a recent long road trip with the new kit I did not notice any degradation of efficiency.

Miscellaneous​

The calipers are huge, I understand now why Essex was so adamant about using their template.
Good news is they do fit behind the factory 19" sport wheels, barely!

View attachment 946246

Here is the view with my 20" street setup
View attachment 946247

Weights​

380x36mm J hook rotor was about 28.4 lbs vs factory 21.1 using an old bathroom scale

Overall I am really happy with my purchase! Let me know if I missed anything you want to know about.
I will follow up with more impressions once I bed them in properly and use them where they are needed.
Looks like a great kit if you're interested in tracking your car. Do you know if it has the same retraction feature as the stock brakes such that the pad is pulled slightly off the rotor to reduce rolling resistance and friction losses?

Looks like a great kit if you're interested in tracking your car. Do you know if it has the same retraction feature as the stock brakes such that the pad is pulled slightly off the rotor to reduce rolling resistance and friction losses?
I have not seen that advertised but as I mentioned not experiencing a change in efficiency or loss of range on my regular trips from Ventura to Sacramento.

In addition the rotors are cool after drives not involving use of the friction brakes.

Reactions: dfwatt
Just did a second round of bedding in, hardish stops from 70-20, about 10, being new to this I didn't really feel anything different in the pedal so decided that was enough.
I immediately pulled over and the rotors were ~265 deg F, calipers much lower like 150, not much if any smell.
Looks like I am going to have to try harder to really heat this setup up. Probably should have disabled regen.
By the time I got home, 15m drive, the rotors were cool to the touch.

I did want to mention if it is not obvious from the pictures that everything in this kit is really high quality.

Attachments

• side-view.jpg
    side-view.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Lindenwood
That would have to be done by the hydraulic system as there is nothing in the factory caliper to do it.
The caliper boots/seals have specific design features to produce a slight retraction force.

We also learned that the low-drag seals that help make the Model 3 so efficient lose their effectiveness after a few track days, as they are cooked and no longer seem to have the same kind of effectiveness as when they were new.

• Informative
Subieworx is correct. The piston seals can be cut in a specific shape so they don't have any drag. The AP Racing by Essex Kits have this feature and drag is not an issue.

The discs are so large that they quite a sizable heat sink. It takes some work to heat them enough to get the pads to stick to the disc faces and bed them in. The value of that is obviously that they run cooler and last longer under brutal track conditions.

Reactions: Cce32
Follow-up on the pedal feel, I did a second quick bleed and that firmed the pedal up, now it feels amazing.

Another big improvement is after they get wet, it used to be scary after a car wash or big puddle two or three stops to get them back to working. No longer a problem, first press after a soaking and it feels very safe.

More pictures with my newest wheels
AP+Essex-19x10+38.jpg

19x10+38-bronze-1.jpg

That would have to be done by the hydraulic system as there is nothing in the factory caliper to do it.
That's correct... these do *not* have the anti-knockback springs like the CP9660 version. There's nothing different about this vs stock caliper (that we are aware of). We've sold a lot of the 9660 version and routinely pull out the AKB springs before install for non-race cars that want to improve mileage by reducing drag, but the "street" caliper line you wont have to worry about that.

We've still got a number of these in stock as well as the full race version if anyone is looking at picking up a set with discounted pricing. I'm running this same set on my personal dual duty car (M3P), it's been drama free for years! Highly recommend

• Helpful
I have been to 3 Tesla Corsa with this BBK and two of them with the rear Essex jhook rotors if anyone has any questions.

My times are still slow but as I have been improving I am working the brakes harder and harder but they just do their job, never any fade plus excellent street manners.

TeslaModel319x10_APEssex.jpg

Do download and mock up the templates to ensure they will fit behind your wheels!

Reactions: adizon and JRitt
I have been to 3 Tesla Corsa with this BBK and two of them with the rear Essex jhook rotors if anyone has any questions.

My times are still slow but as I have been improving I am working the brakes harder and harder but they just do their job, never any fade plus excellent street manners.

View attachment 1010202

Do download and mock up the templates to ensure they will fit behind your wheels!
What wheels are these? I dig them!

Reactions: halfhumble