Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why my ext4 formatted USB drives were not mounted and playable in my M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all of you who have posted advice on this. I finally managed to make it work after days and days of puzzling and trials.

M3 Highland and a Samsung T7 SSD of 500GB - Ubuntu 22.04 for the setup using the Disks gui to build an MBR format twin partition SSD.

First I spent ages trying to make ext4 file systems work with two partitions - 300GB for TESLADRIVE and 200GB for Music but no matter what I tried with permissions and sizes, the second Music partition would never appear. I did try two-button reboot too. I tried changing the Music partition to exFAT and then to FAT but that made no difference.

Finally, I used the M3 screen option to format the entire SSD as one TESLADRIVE partition and took a look at it in Ubuntu. It had built it as exFAT so I deleted this big partition, created an identical but smaller exFAT partition of 300GB (with a single empty folder called TeslaCam), added a second exFAT partition called Music, copied into this Music partition some artists/albums/tracks and it all worked! Dashcam is happily recording and the music turns up as 'USB' in the media centre.

The Music partition does not need any top level folder - just drop the artist/album(s)/track(s) structure into the top level of the partition.
I added a Boombox folder and a LightShow folder but not sure that I'm going to need them.
Didn't change any permissions on either partition - looks like exFAT defaults to safe working options.

I'm not sure why the ext4 partitions wouldn't work but I suspect that somehow the ext4 TESLADRIVE partition was so unacceptable that the second partition was never read.

Hope this helps someone ........... :)

Reactions: Tam
Thank you all of you who have posted advice on this. I finally managed to make it work after days and days of puzzling and trials.

M3 Highland and a Samsung T7 SSD of 500GB - Ubuntu 22.04 for the setup using the Disks gui to build an MBR format twin partition SSD.

First I spent ages trying to make ext4 file systems work with two partitions - 300GB for TESLADRIVE and 200GB for Music but no matter what I tried with permissions and sizes, the second Music partition would never appear. I did try two-button reboot too. I tried changing the Music partition to exFAT and then to FAT but that made no difference.

Finally, I used the M3 screen option to format the entire SSD as one TESLADRIVE partition and took a look at it in Ubuntu. It had built it as exFAT so I deleted this big partition, created an identical but smaller exFAT partition of 300GB (with a single empty folder called TeslaCam), added a second exFAT partition called Music, copied into this Music partition some artists/albums/tracks and it all worked! Dashcam is happily recording and the music turns up as 'USB' in the media centre.

The Music partition does not need any top level folder - just drop the artist/album(s)/track(s) structure into the top level of the partition.
I added a Boombox folder and a LightShow folder but not sure that I'm going to need them.
Didn't change any permissions on either partition - looks like exFAT defaults to safe working options.

I'm not sure why the ext4 partitions wouldn't work but I suspect that somehow the ext4 TESLADRIVE partition was so unacceptable that the second partition was never read.

Hope this helps someone ........... :)
I have a similar setup, however do you get the odd hiccup to the music playback? I suspect it may be when some video is being written to the other partition, but do not know.

John

I have a similar setup, however do you get the odd hiccup to the music playback? I suspect it may be when some video is being written to the other partition, but do not know.

John
No - I have no hiccups on the music playback. This model SSD should be plenty fast enough to cope with the work being thrown at it.
My only outstanding issue is that a couple of tracks refuse to play but I suspect they are either a format that is not acceptable or maybe corrupt in some way. I'll copy them again and see if that works - just two tracks so far.