Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why red rear signal lights on US version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Mustang right before I got my 3. Loved the sequential turn signals on it. Wish the 3 had something similar. At the very least the signal indicators should have been at least 3x their current size. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking designing a tail light with one of the smallest signal indicators I’ve ever seen on a car.

Reactions: android04 and Adam3
My BMW has red brake lenses. I replaced the standard bulb with an amber LED and when the turn signal illuminates, it is perfectly amber even though the lens is red. It's pretty cool. I wish there was a way to do something similar on Model 3...

At the very least the signal indicators should have been at least 3x their current size. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking designing a tail light with one of the smallest signal indicators I’ve ever seen on a car.

I agree completely. A number of times I've missed the indicator on a model 3 that is driving next to me. It's so tiny.

Don’t know why it’s such a big deal. Suddenly bright lights equals braking. Flashing light on one side indicates an upcoming turn. Why does color even matter.

Based on color, In a fraction of a second you can tell if the person is braking or moving right/left - or both. You don't have to stare and wait for a blink. In the right situation this is the difference that can cause or avoid an accident.

Last edited:
The issue with the red for both brake and turn is that if one taillight isn't working and the driver is "tapping" the brakes... it looks like a turn signal is on.
Ok, and I guess that driver would also have to be tapping that brake many times at a regular frequency to confuse me to think it is a signal light instead of a brake light. That process along with his one missing brake light sounds about as rare as a meteor hitting my house. :D Well, maybe not that rare, but any flashing rear light is still going to get my attention to see what they are doing. I'm still not buying that this is an issue for me if I'm behind them. Sort of sounds like something minor for people to argue about :) Just my one person opinion.

Was just watching a Model Y video and it appears to show amber turn signal lights. It even appears that the besides the amber turn signal the "brake" lights also light red. Thought could be an optical illusion.

Sorry, took pick with camera at an angle.
IMG_3495.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC