Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why SSD so hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the same card that @Arizona Willie said has been getting hot on him in case you didn't realize it.

storage will always get hot when its being written to, so in the case of TeslaCam or sentry, its always writing. What matters is if the storage can handle the temp and for long periods of time. So in his case, @Arizona Willie shouldnt worry - it should be everyone else using cheap drives. It would be terrible if sentry or teslacam failed to record because of a drive error

summer is right around the corner, so those of you using SSDs and cheap thumb drives might having failing drives soon when sentry mode is enabled due to the constant writing. Temperatures in the car can easily reach 160F+ inside your car with 80F weather outside.

I personally use a 128gb Samsung Endurance Pro thats rated for constant writes for up to 43,800 hours (5 years) and withstands operating temperatures ranging from -13F (-25°C) to 185F (85°C). I use it in conjunction with a usb A + usb C microSD adapter. They dont sell the one I use anymore but this is similar and great for those who have an Android phone with usb C. iPhone users can try this, but I havent tested it

They are so cheap now, no reason to get something else unless you want extra storage. Although western digital has their 256gb purple microSD which I may purchase for TeslaCam once it drops lower in price
Please, let's get our words correct - the OP (and you) are NOT using SSD's, you're using micro sd cards. Completely different things. If you're concerned about the heat and possible failures, switch to an actual SSD.

The memory chips used are similar, but not identical. The real difference is in the chip(s) used to control the in/out to the memory - flash drives use cheap chips that get hot fast. Ssd's typically use better chipsets that don't get as hot. It's the IO part of these devices that generate the most heat.

It would be nice if the OP would answer the question about which drive he's using.
Please, let's get our words correct - the OP (and you) are NOT using SSD's, you're using micro sd cards. Completely different things. If you're concerned about the heat and possible failures, switch to an actual SSD.

My fault. I'm careless with nomenclature I guess.

storage will always get hot when its being written to, so in the case of TeslaCam or sentry, its always writing. What matters is if the storage can handle the temp and for long periods of time. So in his case, @Arizona Willie shouldnt worry - it should be everyone else using cheap drives. It would be terrible if sentry or teslacam failed to record because of a drive error

I noticed this afternoon that the adapter is what is getting hot. The USB adapter that is. The card itself isn't that hot.

I have a different adapter that I will try to see if it gets as hot.

I understand the difference between SSDs and MicroSDs. I was speaking to everyone and not just the OP.

I still do NOT recommend a SSD for TeslaCam or Sentry usage due to their lower temperature range:
Non-Operating Temperature (from -20 degrees Celsius to +70 degrees Celsius), Operating Temperature (from 0 degrees Celsius to +45 degrees Celsius)

Operating temperature maximum (which means sentry is running) is 45 C = 113 F, which will easily hit on any warm day parked in the sun (I stated in my previous post that my car hits 160F on a 80F day). This is also taken from the Portable Sandisk Extreme which is made for rugged and extreme temperatures. If you will only use the SDD for the dash cam feature, it will be fine since you are likely running the AC during the summer.

Even though SSDs and cheap usb drives will work, that doesn't mean it will continue to work for long periods of time. Telling people to use SSDs or cheap thumb drives just increases complaints about drive failure or missed footage later down the road (which has already started happening)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl
I understand the difference between SSDs and MicroSDs. I was speaking to everyone and not just the OP.

I still do NOT recommend a SSD for TeslaCam or Sentry usage due to their lower temperature range:
Non-Operating Temperature (from -20 degrees Celsius to +70 degrees Celsius), Operating Temperature (from 0 degrees Celsius to +45 degrees Celsius)

Operating temperature maximum (which means sentry is running) is 45 C = 113 F, which will easily hit on any warm day parked in the sun (I stated in my previous post that my car hits 160F on a 80F day). This is also taken from the Portable Sandisk Extreme which is made for rugged and extreme temperatures. If you will only use the SDD for the dash cam feature, it will be fine since you are likely running the AC during the summer.

Even though SSDs and cheap usb drives will work, that doesn't mean it will continue to work for long periods of time. Telling people to use SSDs or cheap thumb drives just increases complaints about drive failure or missed footage later down the road (which has already started happening)
yes i have a JEDA SSD and have to keep doing a soft reboot to get it to connect every 2 days. as you know it is warm down here in south Houston but i would not expect to have to do this or i would not have wasted the money.