Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why SSD so hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the OP is asking about an ssd. They're different, and don't normally get hot. Let's not confuse the issue.
Most SSDs (unless older) use flash based memory so shouldn't read/write energy use be relatively about the same? Of course SSDs are usually in a larger area (especially 2.5") so waste energy (heat) dispersion should be a little better.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrenGrl
Probably TeslaCam, not Sentry. TeslaCam is the one that constantly writes the recent videos whenever the car is on.

Sentry Mode does the same thing; they both record continuously, then delete them once a certain time passes. Both also move files over from the temporary recording directory to a saved recordings directory when told to do so. For TeslaCam, "told to do so" is an explicit action by the user (or maybe if the car detects an accident -- I don't recall if that's true); for Sentry Mode, "told to do so" is an alert or alarm event being triggered.

My USB thumb drive always gets mega hot. Does worry me a tad..
But the OP is asking about an ssd. They're different, and don't normally get hot. Let's not confuse the issue.

USB flash drives and SSDs use basically the same flash memory technology. They differ in details, like the capacity and number of the chips and their design specs (temperature tolerances, number of read/write cycles, etc.), but they're fundamentally the same flash memory technology.

I don't know the details for flash memory, but most electronic devices do generate heat. That's why computers have fans, and why there are heat sinks on CPUs and GPUs -- to help dissipate that heat and prevent the device from melting in its own waste heat. That said, two devices designed to do the same thing but of different designs may produce different amounts of heat, for any number of reasons. If you think that a device is becoming dangerously hot (like, you think it might start a fire), then you should certainly stop using it; it's either defective or is being used beyond its rated specifications. If it's just warm to the touch, but not too hot to touch for an extended period, then it's probably fine. That said, heat beyond room temperature will reduce the life of any electronic device. You might be able to improve matters by adding a heat sink, if the device's enclosure is smooth metal. You can find heat sinks of many sizes, meant for CPUs, GPUs, and other chips and electronic devices. Try searching on eBay or at a computer retailer like NewEgg.

Most SSDs (unless older) use flash based memory so shouldn't read/write energy use be relatively about the same? Of course SSDs are usually in a larger area (especially 2.5") so waste energy (heat) dispersion should be a little better.
The memory chips used are similar, but not identical. The real difference is in the chip(s) used to control the in/out to the memory - flash drives use cheap chips that get hot fast. Ssd's typically use better chipsets that don't get as hot. It's the IO part of these devices that generate the most heat.

It would be nice if the OP would answer the question about which drive he's using.

• Love
Reactions: Scott7
What kind is it? Mine (a sandisk 250GB) just gets a little warm.

It is a Samsung microSDXC PRO Endurance 128 gb, which was recommended on here. It is a tiny little card that looks like it was intended for a phone that plugs into an adapter that plugs into a USB adapter. That's two adapters. Might be a problem right there. Videos look fine. Only looked at them once and then deleted them.

I was surprised it got so damn hot. I will make sure to let the car cool for awhile before pulling it again.
It ( Teslacam ) burned up one thumb drive. I will also try the other port. And maybe leave the console open so some air can get in there. Not much but better than nothing I suppose.

Reactions: Lhshockey24
Ok that is causing some confusion as that's an SD card, not an Solid State Disk. Those are different things and both are used by Tesla owners for this purpose. I switched from an SD card (that did get hot) to an SSD drive and have noticed no issues with heat since.

summer is right around the corner, so those of you using SSDs and cheap thumb drives might having failing drives soon when sentry mode is enabled due to the constant writing. Temperatures in the car can easily reach 160F+ inside your car with 80F weather outside.

I personally use a 128gb Samsung Endurance Pro thats rated for constant writes for up to 43,800 hours (5 years) and withstands operating temperatures ranging from -13F (-25°C) to 185F (85°C). I use it in conjunction with a usb A + usb C microSD adapter. They dont sell the one I use anymore but this is similar and great for those who have an Android phone with usb C. iPhone users can try this, but I havent tested it

They are so cheap now, no reason to get something else unless you want extra storage. Although western digital has their 256gb purple microSD which I may purchase for TeslaCam once it drops lower in price

Last edited:
summer is right around the corner, so those of you using SSDs and cheap thumb drives might having failing drives soon when sentry mode is enabled due to the constant writing. Temperatures in the car can easily reach 160F+ inside your car with 80F weather outside.

I personally use a 128gb Samsung Endurance Pro thats rated for constant writes for up to 43,800 hours (5 years) and withstands operating temperatures ranging from -13F (-25°C) to 185F (85°C). I use it in conjunction with a usb A + usb C microSD adapter. They dont sell the one I use anymore but this is similar and great for those who have an Android phone with usb C. iPhone users can try this, but I havent tested it

They are so cheap now, no reason to get something else unless you want extra storage. Although western digital has their 256gb purple microSD which I may purchase for TeslaCam once it drops lower in price

That's the same card that @Arizona Willie said has been getting hot on him in case you didn't realize it.