Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why was Silver discontinued?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's one of the best colors. Hides dust and other things well. Technically I think it does all that better than most colors. White shows dirt easily and the rest show scratches very easily and black even more so.

Silver was nice and one of the lowest maintenance colors and I just don't get why it was discontinued.

Maybe between white and grey it's a bit too in between but there isn't really another color option that is as low maintenance as silver.

Anyone know why it was discontinued?

Reactions: Catman20009
I couldn’t agree more. I ordered mine in the fall of 2018 about two weeks after silver was discontinued.....totally bummed. We live on a dirt road and the dust drives me insane. Honestly If silver was released tomorrow I’d immediately switch and pick one up.

Reactions: Catman20009
I think it's one of the best colors. Hides dust and other things well. Technically I think it does all that better than most colors. White shows dirt easily and the rest show scratches very easily and black even more so.

Silver was nice and one of the lowest maintenance colors and I just don't get why it was discontinued.

Maybe between white and grey it's a bit too in between but there isn't really another color option that is as low maintenance as silver.

Anyone know why it was discontinued?
I am sure it is economics. I am guessing that it was the worst seller, so why does they want to stock this color if people are not buying it. Only a guess.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Back when Tesla dropped it, they were ramping up production and struggling to manufacture and deliver, in quantity. The paint shop seemed to be one of the bottlenecks, so they sped things up by dropping the two least-ordered colors. Fewer colors, means less downtime when switching colors during production runs.

I think it would be nice to alter the colors every year like other manufacturers, to help distinguish model years.

Reactions: ZapCarM3 and mdsco