Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why white interior is more expensive than black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Economies of scale :) Most people want black so they buy more of it for cheaper, hence sell it for cheaper. Same with paint colors.
I don't think you can say for certain that "most people want black". It's quite possible that many people choose black because it doesn't cost extra. We've seen with paint colors that most people chose black exteriors when it was free. Now that white paint is the free color, most people are choosing that.

I don't think you can say for certain that "most people want black". It's quite possible that many people choose black because it doesn't cost extra. We've seen with paint colors that most people chose black exteriors when it was free. Now that white paint is the free color, most people are choosing that.

They're coerced into "wanting" it because it's cheaper lol.

ps. love your youtube content, I've been watching

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

I don't have the numbers, but I am fairly certain, given the choice of both being free, you would still see more people choosing black, especially in a Y where people have kids and white will get destroyed!

Reactions: house9
Tesla often offers one item for free (standard) and another as an option (customer pays). It would be cheaper for them to just put the same color in every car, but making others available adds another layer of costs.

Believe the White cost more because it has additional protection to keep the delicate white from discoloring as much as possible. More warranty claims might figure in as well.

On the other hand, it might just be more expensive because people are willing to pay more for it.

Reactions: IdaBish
Same reason certain paint colors are more expensive and pearl white is free.

The black material is prob manufactured in far greater volume and potentially cheaper for them because of it.
Incorrect. Solid black was free for a while, with pearl white being 2nd most expensive and red being the most expensive. Everyone chose black because it was free, and Elon got tired of seeing black Teslas everywhere so he said they will introduce a solid white free option. Elon’s team told him it will increase costs/complexity, so they decided to make the existing white (pearl white) free/base color.

Incorrect. Solid black was free for a while, with pearl white being 2nd most expensive and red being the most expensive. Everyone chose black because it was free, and Elon got tired of seeing black Teslas everywhere so he said they will introduce a solid white free option. Elon’s team told him it will increase costs/complexity, so they decided to make the existing white (pearl white) free/base color.

I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t saying one paint color is cheaper to make than another. I just meant there’s far greater efficiency in producing a lot of one color. It doesn’t matter which color they decide to make free....the fact that it is free that will generate the volume. Volume = efficiency = cost savings.

Maybe when he gets sick of white the Midnight Silver will be the next standard free color. Who knows.

Because it's white

Black is the standard color for seats

And $1,000 is a bargain for ultra white interior

It costed $34,400 on Michael Fux's custom McLaren

1-1570459135146@2x.jpg

30067602168_163c2f50bc_b.jpg

2017-McLaren-720S-Fux-Fuchsia-Interior-3-1920x1200.jpg

HIGHLIGHTS
  • 312 miles
  • Special-ordered one-of-a-kind McLaren 720S
  • Featured on the cover of Dupont Registry October 2017
  • McLaren Special Operations Bespoke exterior and interior
  • $54,000 MSO Bespoke Rolls-Royce Fuxia Fuchsia exterior finish
  • $34,400 MSO Bespoke White leather with White stitching interior
  • MSO Bespoke painted interior door applique, vent bezels and steering wheel pinstripe
  • MSO Bespoke wheels with body colored pinstripe

Not a Y but my 3 has the same look going for $33,400 less compared to the 720s and your Model Y can too!

1Ot8l6Y.jpg

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: KenC and KRG21
There def is a difference.
I had a 3 with white and now a 3 w black. The biggest thing I notice is the quality of seat padding.
The white had cushioning which was very pillow like. The black seems very mushy and if you actually push your hand hard enough down int the seat bottom you can actually feel the frame. I cannot get any confirmation on seat foam being different but there is def a quality of material difference

Reactions: preilly44
There def is a difference.
I had a 3 with white and now a 3 w black. The biggest thing I notice is the quality of seat padding.
The white had cushioning which was very pillow like. The black seems very mushy and if you actually push your hand hard enough down int the seat bottom you can actually feel the frame. I cannot get any confirmation on seat foam being different but there is def a quality of material difference

I agree completely. We have two 3P's, one with white seats and one with black (they were produced about a month apart). The white seats are more padded and comfortable. I am one of the few people who like the look of the black interior better (on most color exteriors anyway) but I ordered a white interior on my Y because it is more comfortable.

Reactions: Electric Steve