Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi sapping all available DSL bandwidth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't notice this at home since I'm fibre connected and have a 1 gbs connection, but here at the cottage, until I receive my Starlink dish, I'm still on DSL :( Today the internet was really sluggish and after troubleshooting why, I figure out it was my Model 3 :( My ping time to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS server) is about 25 ms on average normally but when I connect the car to my WiFi, this shoots to 1000 ms (1 sec) and above. 100% reproducible. Disconnect the car from WiFi, back to normal, reconnect it, after a few seconds, back to +1000 ms. I already have 2012.32.21 so I doubt it's downloading an update. Anyone know why the car is grabbing all my Internet?

Sentry mode is ON and I'm testing a bunch of apps, Teslafi and Teslascope cloud services, Tezlab and Optiwatt on Android. Could it be that all these apps are causing constant polling of the car's stats, flooding my network outgoing stream? That one is only 500 kbs (rememeber, D S L).

For now, I've disconnected it from the cottage's WiFi.

Thanks

Didn't notice this at home since I'm fibre connected and have a 1 gbs connection, but here at the cottage, until I receive my Starlink dish, I'm still on DSL :( Today the internet was really sluggish and after troubleshooting why, I figure out it was my Model 3 :( My ping time to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS server) is about 25 ms on average normally but when I connect the car to my WiFi, this shoots to 1000 ms (1 sec) and above. 100% reproducible. Disconnect the car from WiFi, back to normal, reconnect it, after a few seconds, back to +1000 ms. I already have 2012.32.21 so I doubt it's downloading an update. Anyone know why the car is grabbing all my Internet?

Sentry mode is ON and I'm testing a bunch of apps, Teslafi and Teslascope cloud services, Tezlab and Optiwatt on Android. Could it be that all these apps are causing constant polling of the car's stats, flooding my network outgoing stream? That one is only 500 kbs (rememeber, D S L).

Thanks
Sounds like a job for tcpdump/wireshark.

Reactions: JHamCell
It's on my Wi-Fi and my router doesn't have a SPAN port unfortunately. I do have a 10 mbs hub (not switch but a real 3Com Superstack PS50 hub from the 90s that I keep for stuff like that) and a spare linksys router. I could configure the router Wifi, connect it to the hub, my laptop to the hub and my DSL router to the hub. That way, all packets in and out of the Tesla would appear on my laptop. Too late to start this endeavor today. Maybe tomorrow if I have a spare hour.

Thanks

Change your tesla password so that NONE of those apps are pinging your car and see.