Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wifi bandwidth hog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post applies to very few tesla owners but I'm sharing for the few rural owners with limited wifi. We took delivery of our MY a week ago. We then lost our ability to connect to the internet which, for us, means no phone calls as well as all the other internet uses (no cell service here). We couldn't even run a speed test and our provider was at a loss. We made no connection between the car and our internet woes ... until a family member announced all was back to our mediocre internet normal when the MY was away from our home. I finally realized it might be the car and turned off wifi at the car. All was well. That would be OK as the car said wifi would not be connected until the next time we drove it. BUT, it reconnects to wifi incessantly killing our wifi. In the end, I removed our network from the tesla. That will no doubt cause its own problems.

Starlink on its way; ordered before I realized it was the Tesla killing our wifi. Still might be worth it but another $650 plus $90/mo in Elon's pocket.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
The car does periodically send information back to the mothership and there are periodical downloads that occur.

But in general, the car will go to sleep and disconnect from the Wi-Fi. You just may have to wait for the car to do it's transfer.

The car does periodically send information back to the mothership and there are periodical downloads that occur.

But in general, the car will go to sleep and disconnect from the Wi-Fi. You just may have to wait for the car to do it's transfer.
OK, if this is correct. It's been over a week now so not sure how long the "transfer" takes. I'll reconnect at night. In the end, starlink should hopefully make everything work with the greater bandwidth and speed.