Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 21" Plaid Arachnids fit on 2017 Model S? - Answer: No, they rub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, similar to the above, I got a nice deal on the new arachnids....21X9.5 front, 21.10.5 rear. I em exchanging these for the 21 turbines on a 2016 S 75. I am going to go with 245/35/21's on the front and was planning on 265/35/21's on the rear. In reading the above, some folks have added spacers, but'm trying to avoid that. Has anyone tried this - or anything obvious that I'm not missing? My concern is the 10.5 are too wide for the rear, but hoping to keep them. Thanks for your insight!

Reactions: solvovir
Hey folks, similar to the above, I got a nice deal on the new arachnids....21X9.5 front, 21.10.5 rear. I em exchanging these for the 21 turbines on a 2016 S 75. I am going to go with 245/35/21's on the front and was planning on 265/35/21's on the rear. In reading the above, some folks have added spacers, but'm trying to avoid that. Has anyone tried this - or anything obvious that I'm not missing? My concern is the 10.5 are too wide for the rear, but hoping to keep them. Thanks for your insight!
Hey J,
here is the information I have collected from other members.
1 member runs refreshed(9.5" & 10.5") Arachnids with 6mm spacer in the rear and went down to a 265/30-21 in the front and reports they have on rubbing at all. (has adaptive suspension)
Another member runs refreshed Arachnids with no spacers and stock tire sizes and has just a little rubbing in the front when turning, but none in the rear. (no adaptive suspension)
another member recommended 10mm spacers all around, but you will need to increase your wheel stud length to make up for the spacers.
a couple of members have traded their rears for another set of fronts and runs 9.5" all the way around and report no rubbing

My car should be here this week. when it arrives I am going to try to throw the arachnids on and see what happens and I will report back.

Reactions: Krash
Hey J,
here is the information I have collected from other members.
1 member runs refreshed(9.5" & 10.5") Arachnids with 6mm spacer in the rear and went down to a 265/30-21 in the front and reports they have on rubbing at all. (has adaptive suspension)
Another member runs refreshed Arachnids with no spacers and stock tire sizes and has just a little rubbing in the front when turning, but none in the rear. (no adaptive suspension)
another member recommended 10mm spacers all around, but you will need to increase your wheel stud length to make up for the spacers.
a couple of members have traded their rears for another set of fronts and runs 9.5" all the way around and report no rubbing

My car should be here this week. when it arrives I am going to try to throw the arachnids on and see what happens and I will report back.
Very helpful solvovir!!! Thank you for the summary above. I'm going to debate keeping the 10.5 or maybe swapping out for 9.5's all around (if thats the better option) to ensure no rubbing. Will keep you updated on my progress, but curious to hear yours once your car arrives!

Very helpful solvovir!!! Thank you for the summary above. I'm going to debate keeping the 10.5 or maybe swapping out for 9.5's all around (if thats the better option) to ensure no rubbing. Will keep you updated on my progress, but curious to hear yours once your car arrives!
the consensus Ive gotten from talking to members is that the rears arent as big of a concern compared to the fronts (probably because the rears do not have to turn)
It also makes a difference in the type of suspension you have. My friend that I bought the Arachnids from asked in his Tesla app "Will arachnids wheels fit a 2020 model S?" and tesla replied that they could not confirm if the wheels would fit.....it seems like they either just do not fit or just barely fit either way.

bumping this.
Did anyone ever find a way to make it work with 10.5" in the back?
I got offered a great deal on some 21' Arachnids 9.5" front / 10.5" rear and am wondering if I could make this work on my 2020 S
Depends on the off set of the wheels and how aggressive of a look you like... I think anything larger then 9's will poke out past the fender.. I've ordered 20x9's square setup for my 2019 Model S long range and i think i will be just about flush with the fenders both front and back if i've done the math correctly... Fingers crossed.

the consensus Ive gotten from talking to members is that the rears arent as big of a concern compared to the fronts (probably because the rears do not have to turn)
It also makes a difference in the type of suspension you have. My friend that I bought the Arachnids from asked in his Tesla app "Will arachnids wheels fit a 2020 model S?" and tesla replied that they could not confirm if the wheels would fit.....it seems like they either just do not fit or just barely fit either way.
Depends on the off set of the wheels and how aggressive of a look you like... I think anything larger then 9's will poke out past the fender.. I've ordered 20x9's square setup for my 2019 Model S long range and i think i will be just about flush with the fenders both front and back if i've done the math correctly... Fingers crossed.
Offset of the front wheels (9.5 inch) are 40mm and offset of rear (10.5 inch) are 45mm (based on what I've found.)

Offset of the front wheels (9.5 inch) are 40mm and offset of rear (10.5 inch) are 45mm (based on what I've found.)
9.5 inch wide wheels with 40mm offset def will not fit non plaid pre 2021 model S's. Its just to wide. The only way would be to run 20mm + spacers and the wheels and tires will be poking out past the fenders. So if thats the look you are going for... My stock 19x8 slip streams are 40mm offset and stock wheels are tucked about 3/4" in.. Again stock... 9" Wide is max for front in my opinion.. Backs you should be able to get away with 10" wide probably again to achieve a flush finish.

hey Solovir- any update on your car and wheel status, by chance? I was able to get a 9.5 with 245/35/21 on the front with no rubbing.

hey Solovir- any update on your car and wheel status, by chance? I was able to get a 9.5 with 245/35/21 on the front with no rubbing.
ah so my car arrived but i dont currently have the arachnids. i let a fellow members borrow them because he was getting the brake upgrade kit installed on his plaid and they would only do it if he had factory wheels, so i let him borrow the wheels for the install. once done he will bring them back.

Reactions: Krash
OK all - I've been successful in making this happen on my 2016 Model S! I didn't have any issues with the 9.5 plaid wheels on front with a 245/35/21 size tire...no rubbing, no issues. The back, however, was a little tight and rubbed a little. Because of this, I did add a 5MM spacer, which allowed me to use the 10.5 inch plaid rear wheel and a tire side of 265/35/21.
tempImageFGHEDi.jpg
tempImagesazctA.jpg

I have finally had mine mounted on yesterday afternoon after waiting almost 8 weeks for my spacers to arrive. Turns out i Didn't even need to run the spacers after all. I can now confirm that 20x9's with 40et fit just fine with no rubbing issues at all. no spacers needed as initially thought. Running square set up with 245/40 tires.. Now that i know that 9's with 40et fit i'm sure you can even run 255's or even 245/45 tire set up.. I ran 245/40 to mitigate any rub issue from happening as again i didn't think 40et wheel 9" wide would fit on the front and would need a 35et for the front.. So for anyone that was in my boat that didn't know or get any info for confirmation... here you go.
Side note... I also decided to change the wheel settings to 21" as no 20" size option is given.. I chose to select the larger size rather then just leaving the stock 19" setting as the car does calculate range etc taking into account wheel size. i road trip a lot so i would rather have the car plot out more stops for charging then less and running the risk of not having enough charge etc. Maybe the 1 inch wouldn't make a difference when it comes to range but i'd rather not take the chance so i changed the setting to 21".

Attachments

• IMG_8710.PNG
    IMG_8710.PNG
    4.9 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Reactions: jsanders012
I have finally had mine mounted on yesterday afternoon after waiting almost 8 weeks for my spacers to arrive. Turns out i Didn't even need to run the spacers after all. I can now confirm that 20x9's with 40et fit just fine with no rubbing issues at all. no spacers needed as initially thought. Running square set up with 245/40 tires.. Now that i know that 9's with 40et fit i'm sure you can even run 255's or even 245/45 tire set up.. I ran 245/40 to mitigate any rub issue from happening as again i didn't think 40et wheel 9" wide would fit on the front and would need a 35et for the front.. So for anyone that was in my boat that didn't know or get any info for confirmation... here you go.
Side note... I also decided to change the wheel settings to 21" as no 20" size option is given.. I chose to select the larger size rather then just leaving the stock 19" setting as the car does calculate range etc taking into account wheel size. i road trip a lot so i would rather have the car plot out more stops for charging then less and running the risk of not having enough charge etc. Maybe the 1 inch wouldn't make a difference when it comes to range but i'd rather not take the chance so i changed the setting to 21".
The Tesla Arachnids wheel is 21 inches so the wheel configuration is correct for 21 inch.
Are you talking about the aftermarket 20-inch wheel here?