Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 21" Plaid Arachnids fit on 2017 Model S? - Answer: No, they rub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hijack warning .. anyone know if the exact opposite is possible? Can a set of the original circa 2016 Arachnids be put on a new, 2023 Model S? For those who don't know, the original Arachnids were hand forged in England, so a much better wheel than the current Arachnids. But I undersatnd they are a slightly different size. I happen to own a set, sitting in my attic, having won them as a "thank you" for referrals / new purchases way back in 2016 or so .... but I don't own a current Model S

finally got post refresh arachnids on my car
no spacers
very slight rubbing on the inner fender at full turn on the fronts. they fit tight but they do fit.
2020 S long range w/adjustable suspension

PXL_20230912_181832696.jpg

PXL_20230912_182022507.jpg

What is it like when you are on the low setting?
I haven't driven it in the low setting yet but IMO it's not the ride height that is causing the close clearance, its the width/offset of the wheels.

funny enough, i pushed in on both of the inner fender liners and they 'snapped' farther in place (i guess they were slightly pushed out from years of driving over potholes, speed bumps, shitty roads), and i gained just enough clearance that it seems the tires arent rubbing anymore.

Reactions: Acuragod
***EDIT***
changing my answer to NO FIT
i drove 120 miles on the arachnids. i would hear them rub when going over speed bumps/pot holes and turning.
going down the highway on LOW setting is fine. its anytime there is any flex/bounce on the car, you hear little rubs. to me it was too much for comfort. since the roads here in Texas are permanently shitty. I put the slipstreams back on and you can see where the tires were rubbing in the front and back.
PXL_20230917_141056131.jpg

PXL_20230917_142304958.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: morbidz
Thank you so much for the update. This is really good information. I was looking for something to replace my 19" slipstreams. I guess I will go back to look for a used set of twin turbines or maybe go aftermarket. There are many more 21" Arachnids then 21" twin turbines for sale online.

Reactions: solvovir
Thank you so much for the update. This is really good information. I was looking for something to replace my 19" slipstreams. I guess I will go back to look for a used set of twin turbines or maybe go aftermarket. There are many more 21" Arachnids then 21" twin turbines for sale online.
you got a lot of options. pre refreshed arachnids, twin turbines, T sport lines, other aftermarket...
some people still run the new arachnids with no issues but for me, with the rubbing and loss of range, i decided it wasn't worth it. they did look great though.

I just installed the Plaid wheels on the refresh P100D for reference: There's no rubbing at full lock for me, but YMMV. There is a bit of tire-scrub at semi-full lock when traveling at 0-5mph because of the increased track width, which affects the scrub radius geometry for the turning wheels. No issues whatsoever once cruising at lowest suspension level.

View attachment 748589
Hey! Just want to confirm these are the OEM staggered setup with 21x9.5 +40 in the front and 21x10.5 +45 in the rear. Please let us all know! Also, what size tires are you running? Thanks in advance!

I've been messing around with getting these wheels on my 2020 MSLR. I tried the original setup 295/30/21 rear and 265/35/21. Does it fit? No! As mentioned in the previous post by solvovir, because of the 9.5/10.5 offset of the wheel, the rear hits the shock and the front rubs. But, with some modifications I made them fit. First, I tried 15mm bonoss spacer all around which gives the wheel enough clearance and preventing any rubbing (slight rub @ full lock), The problem I had was the ride was to rough with the original set up. So, I got some tire and mount 275/35/21 rear and 255/35/21 using 15mm spacers in the front and 20mm in the rear, this setup made the ride much smoother and less bumpier, no shock rub and no rubbing @ full lock, slight rub when turning the wheeel in reverse but nothing I can't take care of by pushing in the wheel well cover a bit. So bottom line is, without any modifications these wheels do not fit on a 2020, With mods it will work.

Attachments

• Pass.JPG
    Pass.JPG
    859.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    666.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    641.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Driver.JPG
    Driver.JPG