Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Car Automation Disrupt the Personal Mobility market?...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vive la resistance! :p

Seriously though, why do people always have to destroy what they don't like, don't understand, or just plain fear? Knowledge is power, but most are living in the dark.
Maybe because their livelihoods will be threatened? Once the AV technology becomes reliable and affordable, driving jobs will likely become scarce. Even delivery truck drivers may be replaced by lower paid employees who only unload orders since no commercial driving license would be required.

Robotaxi services will certainly pop up but will be very limited and focused on very specific geographical areas for the next 5-10 years. A valuable but niche service very much like Uber is today.

It probably won't. Robotaxi won't be for everyone or every need. It will start off with a very narrow focus and expand over time. The enthusiasm for RoboTaxi will come to grips with reality over the next few years,

Agree. The good thing of ride-hail taxis is that they CAN operate in rural areas, since those taxis are owned and operated locally. Robo-taxi providers will opt for catering to urbanized mobility needs, as a way to cut out their biggest expense: human drivers.

And driverless can still appeal to car owners as a comfort feature of course... Especially on longer distance routes.
I can remember the uneventful trip from LA to Las Vegas, for instance.

So, what you get:
1. AVs for driverless ride-hailing in and around cities (Cruise, Waymo, Uber) because it's simply cheaper (theoretically)
2. AVs for car owners as more of a comfort feature, maybe for safety reasons.

Below are rough estimates (in 2016 there were 16 million taxis around the world;
let's say that some of them are rickshaws).
You still get around 15 millions car taxis, particularly since people using their cars as taxi became more popular.

If anyone of you readers here have better statistics, I will be happy to change graphics.
Easy to see below that 'driverless' (if successful!) can cause a major shift...

AVvXsEgXYaphn6G9e_aEuRfzdeJiMh7sozeR4u1dvpquiiEVFVmBuIg5lyzVxtQOReKq4DfWiacHM-4JR3QVk3_GbHGBIst175WeeTcRXUuuRQxiOPJm7YhqQhPHgiL9yavkFnVRCsKMLlfH_BQGlxLz12LorP1LJ8iRgWU7UKKmuTSFEvgUqOs3thziQ4LX=w850-h358

Last edited:
I think the answer to ur question is highly contingent on geography. While you may have an idea of the impact where u live, it may not translate elsewhere, like Ca. here, cars have duality in purpose, at least the higher end ones. They all get u from A to B, but many serve as a status symbol. Also, one must be aware of the larger business aspects of automobile, which, have been around far longer than u have. In short, in order for what ur predicting would take decades to develop, if ever at all. the whole idea that I can rent ur car as a robo taxi When ur not using it is dream for poor people. No one I know with a 100k plus car would risk imperfections for a few bucks. So. From where I’m sitting, in Ca, the center of the car universe, the answer is a resounding no. there Will not be a disruption to ownership for decades, if ever at all. It may only work in congested areas where people are poor and space is limited. the Whole thing is a pipe dream anyway and is purely speculative and conjecture at this point. I will start worrying about the blue sky, when the first flying cars arrive. If u have been around as long as I have, you have encountered many, pitching flying cars, with great certitude, but alas, to no avail. It’s nice to dream, though.

Reactions: FloridaJohn
0*gAWamp5Cgb1ejYmO

Found this on medium dot com.
"In 2016, Elon Musk published his “Master Plan, Part Deux”. In this document, Tesla proposed that their cars could serve as a ride-hailing service to customers all over the world. Not only in selected geofenced areas, not only in large urban and suburban areas but everywhere. The whole idea is to provide people with a reliable service such that they won’t need to own a car anymore."

I told the author that car ownership is more persistent than industry watchers want us to believe.
Still, a small initial shift may be the beginning of a gradually bigger trend...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tman458