Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will collision avoidance work when backing up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner and on first drive I was backing up to get out of a parking space when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a car had pulled up directly in back of me. Didn't see it on the screen. I immediately braked but was left wondering if there would have been any action by the car if I had gone ahead and attempted to back up?
Model 3 SR no extras.

I park by backing up to a concrete wall and get within 12". It does say stop when closer than 12" but doesn't do anything to stop the car that I know of. In most cases like yours you will probably need more than 12" stopping time/distance anyway.

No, the car doesn't have Rear Cross Traffic alert or Automatic Reverse Braking. It merely shows an image and beeps for distance to an object. You are in complete control.

I wouldn't trust the measurements when parking. The distance rarely matches reality and if there is a low curb the car doesn't sense it. Just be careful and park with care. I always stop early to be safe.

.... It merely shows an image and beeps for distance to an object. You are in complete control.

I wouldn't trust the measurements when parking. The distance rarely matches reality and if there is a low curb the car doesn't sense it. Just be careful and park with care. I always stop early to be safe.
It does give a distance "countdown" stating at 30". I park in this same spot everyday and pull to 11" (12" and then STOP) and it is always the exact same amount with just enough room to squeeze by (without touching my car) and get the cable. I watch the countdown and don't look at the camera.

I agree that the ultrasonics go blind when pulling up/backing to a curb which is odd. My previous car had a much lower front end and the they didn't go blind. Guess they are just up too high or not angled down enough.

IMG_0534.jpg

No, the car doesn't have Rear Cross Traffic alert or Automatic Reverse Braking. It merely shows an image and beeps for distance to an object. You are in complete control.

My Subaru does... :-(

I wonder if my rear

I wouldn't trust the measurements when parking. The distance rarely matches reality and if there is a low curb the car doesn't sense it. Just be careful and park with care. I always stop early to be safe.[/QUOI

I saw the car in rear camera, but haven't seen any notice or images at rear of car - wonder if the sensors are working? Have to do a test tomorrow

New owner and on first drive I was backing up to get out of a parking space when I looked in the rear view mirror
and saw a car had pulled up directly in back of me. Didn't see it on the screen.
I immediately braked but was left wondering if there would have been any action by the car
if I had gone ahead and attempted to back up?
Model 3 SR no extras.
I wonder if you didn't hear any sound from the proximity sensors detecting an obstacle?
I noticed that the summon would stop the car when going too close to an obstacle, and the distance can be adjusted on the central display.

However, this is a good point regarding the full self driving (FSD) capabilities.
- Without any camera installed at each corner of the car and perpendicularly to the main motion,
I am wonder how it would be possible to exit from a building parking lot and turning left or right into any street.
I experience this situation every day and this is difficult and even scary especially when the traffic is a little bit heavy,
and nothing compare to cars moving inside a parking lot...

I wonder if you didn't hear any sound from the proximity sensors detecting an obstacle?
I noticed that the summon would stop the car when going too close to an obstacle, and the distance can be adjusted on the central display.

However, this is a good point regarding the full self driving (FSD) capabilities.
- Without any camera installed at each corner of the car and perpendicularly to the main motion,
I am wonder how it would be possible to exit from a building parking lot and turning left or right into any street.
I experience this situation every day and this is difficult and even scary especially when the traffic is a little bit heavy,
If you watch the FSD presentation, the idea is that if a human can see it so can the car, and this is the case. A computer can react much faster than a human. We aren't looking from the hood of our car so why should the car? It already can see from way more directions than we can at once. The key is driving at a speed where reaction is possible. If the car can't tell exactly what's around the corner it will guess and go at the appropriate speed.

We aren't looking from the hood of our car so why should the car?

Because it can? My other car (ICE) has a wide-angle camera at the front grille and it came handy a few times when pulling into the street in front of parked truck. It also allows for 360 top-down view (along with the downward facing cameras in the side mirrors and back up camera) - it makes parking so easy and helps to avoid curb rush.

Now, regarding top-down view, it should be possible to implement in Model 3 even with existing cameras. It could (sort of) eliminate blind spots by rendering content from the previous frames when moving, for instance...

Reactions: Mysta
Because it can? My other car (ICE) has a wide-angle camera at the front grille and it came handy a few times when pulling into the street in front of parked truck. It also allows for 360 top-down view (along with the downward facing cameras in the side mirrors and back up camera) - it makes parking so easy and helps to avoid curb rush.

Now, regarding top-down view, it should be possible to implement in Model 3 even with existing cameras. It could (sort of) eliminate blind spots by rendering content from the previous frames when moving, for instance...
Yeah, I mean I think one way to do it is to just put camera's everywhere but something has to process those. Showing someone a 360 image and driving based on it are two different things. For sure I think as HW3 becomes the standard I think these things will increase more and more. Just have to balance available power, hardware, and software. Also Pretty much all of the 3s cameras are located where it's hard to get covered up which is probably intentional.

No warning at all - just looked in rear view mirror and saw the car! I don't have FSD but probably not relevant for proximity warning (which should work anyway I think, it does for front warning in my garage.)