Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I Still Get 60 charge mph on the new HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My original wall charger recently died, at almost exactly the same time that I earned a referral credit, and therefore a new HPWC.

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have a dual charger in my Model S, and was previously getting 60mph at 80 amps on the old unit. I know the new model only charges at 72 amps, but I've also been told that that figure only applies to the newer cars, when the dual charger was discontinued, and that I can still get the full 80 amps.

Who's correct on this? It seems logical that I could still get 80 amps since it's still below its overall rating.

My original wall charger recently died, at almost exactly the same time that I earned a referral credit, and therefore a new HPWC.

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have a dual charger in my Model S, and was previously getting 60mph at 80 amps on the old unit. I know the new model only charges at 72 amps, but I've also been told that that figure only applies to the newer cars, when the dual charger was discontinued, and that I can still get the full 80 amps.

Who's correct on this? It seems logical that I could still get 80 amps since it's still below its overall rating.

The Tesla Wall Connector Gen2 is capable of outputting up to 80A. You're talking about the 72A limitation on new teslas. There is no such restriction for the wall connector. Most of us just dont dial it up to 80A because we can't charge that fast.