TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will I Still Get 60 charge mph on the new HPWC?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by brutewolf, Jul 12, 2018.

1. brutewolf

brutewolf Member

My original wall charger recently died, at almost exactly the same time that I earned a referral credit, and therefore a new HPWC.

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have a dual charger in my Model S, and was previously getting 60mph at 80 amps on the old unit. I know the new model only charges at 72 amps, but I've also been told that that figure only applies to the newer cars, when the dual charger was discontinued, and that I can still get the full 80 amps.

Who's correct on this? It seems logical that I could still get 80 amps since it's still below its overall rating.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

As long as you have a 100a circuit u will get 80a on your car as before with gen1

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

The Tesla Wall Connector Gen2 is capable of outputting up to 80A. You're talking about the 72A limitation on new teslas. There is no such restriction for the wall connector. Most of us just dont dial it up to 80A because we can't charge that fast.