Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will mobile service still show up if I don't approve estimate beforehand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently sent SC a mobile service request for 3 items to fix, and received the estimate. Since then I was able to resolve 1 of the items myself, so I only need 2 items fixed. I messaged the SC to revise the estimate to remove that 1 item, but still have not heard back.

1) Should I simply approve the old estimate with 3 items, then when the mobile service shows up, just tell him to skip the 1 I don't need anymore?
OR:
2) Should I not approve the estimate at all, wait for mobile service to show up, get him to update the estimate, then approve it on the spot?

I am worried that with #2, they will cancel my appt since I didn't approve the estimate. It is the weekend so I can't reach anyone in person to ask these questions, and my appt is tomorrow Monday. Hopefully someone here knows!

Recently sent SC a mobile service request for 3 items to fix, and received the estimate. Since then I was able to resolve 1 of the items myself, so I only need 2 items fixed. I messaged the SC to revise the estimate to remove that 1 item, but still have not heard back.

1) Should I simply approve the old estimate with 3 items, then when the mobile service shows up, just tell him to skip the 1 I don't need anymore?
OR:
2) Should I not approve the estimate at all, wait for mobile service to show up, get him to update the estimate, then approve it on the spot?

I am worried that with #2, they will cancel my appt since I didn't approve the estimate. It is the weekend so I can't reach anyone in person to ask these questions, and my appt is tomorrow Monday. Hopefully someone here knows!
An estimate is not necessarily an actuality. The final cost will be updated, considering what work was done and skipped.

It is nice that you told them they don't need to work on 1 issue, so they don't need to bring extra stuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about getting another estimate.

OR:

The few experiences I have had with mobile Tesla service, they are fairly reasonable. If it were me, I would approve the estimate and when they arrive, verbally tell the tech who arrives that you no longer want Item "X" with X being the one you already fixed. They will take it off for you when they are there, if they dont do anything to remedy that item.

If you were taking the car into a SC however, I would probably work harder to get the item removed before service. The difference is, frankly not a surprising one. With mobile service you get to actually talk to the technician doing the work in person, and when you take it into a SC they do everything they can to ensure that you dont get to talk to that person (the person fixing whatever it is).

If you were taking the car into a SC however, I would probably work harder to get the item removed before service. The difference is, frankly not a surprising one. With mobile service you get to actually talk to the technician doing the work in person, and when you take it into a SC they do everything they can to ensure that you dont get to talk to that person (the person fixing whatever it is).
Aside: I had squeaking fixed on my X last week where I had done the research about the upper control arms ... upon arriving they checked me in and had a tech talked to me and was going to take it for a ride with me. Moving the steering wheel was enough to hear/evaluate it. The tech did me a solid and removed the diagnostic fee (~$180). My experience was great and they treated me well. The upper control arm was common enough that they replaced them for cost @ about $95 each or so.