Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will SC costs decrease as gas price decreases?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in FL, the $/mile WHEN CHARGING FROM HOME is approximately the same as my former car. On a road trip, I am much better off buying gas, cheaper and a whole lot more convenient. I really feel bad for the folks in Europe, terrible high electricity (recently 2x for residential and 5x for small businesses) and gas.

Here in FL, the $/mile WHEN CHARGING FROM HOME is approximately the same as my former car. On a road trip, I am much better off buying gas, cheaper and a whole lot more convenient. I really feel bad for the folks in Europe, terrible high electricity (recently 2x for residential and 5x for small businesses) and gas.
How expensive is electricity in Florida (and what's the typical Supercharging rate)? Paying the same for home charging as a gas car seems unusual IME.

Here I would pay 3.6¢/mile for home charging, except that I've had solar panels for fourteen years so I actually pay nothing for electricity except for the monthly service charge. And that's with a relatively inefficient old Model S; it would be a lot less in a Model 3 and a bit less in a Model Y. Supercharging around here would run about 8-13¢/mile in my car, depending on driving efficiency (mostly speed plus weather). Yes, that's pretty expensive.

When calculating Supercharging on a road trip, however, one should remember that most of us start out with a full battery at the home rate and arrive home near empty, refilling at the home rate. So, a road trip is not just the total miles divided by the cost per mile of Supercharging. It can be even less if one has access to inexpensive destination charging at night. FWIW.

• Helpful
Reactions: PLUS EV
How expensive is electricity in Florida (and what's the typical Supercharging rate)? Paying the same for home charging as a gas car seems unusual IME.

Here I would pay 3.6¢/mile for home charging, except that I've had solar panels for fourteen years so I actually pay nothing for electricity except for the monthly service charge. And that's with a relatively inefficient old Model S; it would be a lot less in a Model 3 and a bit less in a Model Y. Supercharging around here would run about 8-13¢/mile in my car, depending on driving efficiency (mostly speed plus weather). Yes, that's pretty expensive.

When calculating Supercharging on a road trip, however, one should remember that most of us start out with a full battery at the home rate and arrive home near empty, refilling at the home rate. So, a road trip is not just the total miles divided by the cost per mile of Supercharging. It can be even less if one has access to inexpensive destination charging at night. FWIW.
I can see how confusing the first line of my reply is. My prior car was a Kia Niro PHEV. I rarely go anywhere, so the Kia only got filled with gasoline only 2-3 times per year. It was a bit more efficient of electric than the MY on electric. The only road trip in the Kia was driving it back from St Louis, where I bought it, to Orlando. It averaged a bit over 60 mpg following my motor coach (wife driving) at mostly 62 mph. Assuming “only” 50 mpg and $5 gas, that is 10 cents per mile. The cheapest SC rates here in FL are 42 cents/kwh and some are quite a bit more. MY is therefore at least 12 cents/mile.

I am way too old for solar to make economic sense 😩