Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Insurance follow suit with insurance fee partial refurns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6-3-20: Billed $185.68
6-25-20: Refunded $53.89

Seems to be ongoing for me. Bit later refund but the same amount.

I spoke with Tesla Insurance yesterday. It turns out that the reason I'm getting the $53 monthly refund is that they recalculated what my premium should be several months ago. Not sure what prompted that though. The $53 is the difference between the old and new premium. So this isn't in any way connected to the 20% temporary discounts that others may be getting or not getting. Just happened around the same time. I added my wife to the policy during the call. The monthly rate went from (the now) $132 to $148.

I asked how much more it would go up if we added a Model Y to the plan with both of us as drivers. He said they couldn't quote an exact amount without a VIN, but that the ballpark would be about an additional $110 per month.

So two drivers (good records), two Teslas (3 + Y), for $2k per year.

RT

• Helpful
Reactions: astrorob
I called them up today and reduced my mileage estimate, which was pretty high, to reflect what's going on during the pandemic. Knocked 25% off my premium. I'm sure the effect will vary, but it's worth doing.

They also told me that the March through May 20% rebate is not continuing past May.

• Informative
Reactions: astrorob
I called them up today and reduced my mileage estimate, which was pretty high, to reflect what's going on during the pandemic. Knocked 25% off my premium. I'm sure the effect will vary, but it's worth doing.

They also told me that the March through May 20% rebate is not continuing past May.

that's a good idea - i had estimated that we'd put at least 8k miles per year on our M3 but with all the WFH we will likely only drive 2.5k miles in the coming 6 months, if that.

Got mine too. When I called them a couple of months ago I was told it might take some time because they were still trying to figure things out, but it's good they came through. Every little bit helps.
This is great news for you folks. If I would have had to guess what they might do (with a bit of sarcasm), I'd say they would have increased your premium during those months because as Elon says, our cars constantly APPRECIATE in value :rolleyes::D especially if they are sitting with no mileage being added o_O